Chapter 3: Waxing Crescent - Arthur

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Arguments, moderate yelling, severe dissociation, panic attack / emotional flashback described.

"Whaddya say, pizza?"

        Vivi hauled herself up from the floor and Arthur whined. "But we've got, like, ten rounds to go!"

        "You can play Mario Kart just fine on your own," she said, shaking her head, and stretched. "What about Surf's Up? But please, no oysters."

        Arthur groaned. "But the oysters are the best part! I'll pay you."

        "You can have your oysters if you come with, then," she said, scooping her jumper up from where she'd thrown it on the couch. "I can only carry two pizzas with the garlic bread and drink."

        "You only need to carry two," he argued, planted firmly in front of the TV.

        "Uh, no, you're getting one too," she replied.

        It took a moment for the penny to drop. Arthur bit back a grin. "You're. . . getting two pizzas. For yourself."

        "Yes?" she said, slipping the sweater over her head.

        "Two pizzas."

        "Yes," Vivi huffed, grabbing her scarf. "Look, if you're gonna be salty about it, you can have some garlic bread too."

        Arthur started cackling. "What do you need your scarf for? It's not even cold outside!"

        "I like it!" she shot back. "Look, I'm an adult! I run this house!"

        Arthur was howling now. "You're a black hole!"

        Vivi wrapped her scarf around herself and crossed her arms. "Look, you want pizza or not?"

        "Yes!"

        "Come on, then. I'm not carrying oysters or I'm gonna smell like them for the next week."

        Arthur waved a dismissive hand, still smiling. "You'll be fine."

        "I mean it."

        "I don't wanna go."

        "Then you won't get your oysters."

        Arthur frowned. "Vivi, come on. I'm serious."

        "So am I," she said. "You need to get out of this house and get some fresh air for once."

        "We went out yesterday," he said, suddenly avoiding her gaze.

        "Yeah, and before that?" She could feel herself getting angry now. "You're wasting away in here. You're coming with me."

        "No I'm not," he said, sounding irritated.

        "And why not?"

        He turned away. "I'm . . . tired."

        "That's because you don't sleep!" She exploded. "Don't think I don't hear you puttering around the house at 2am! Arthur, yesterday was the first time you've left the house in months and now you're holing up in here again?"

        He whipped around and fixed her with a glare. "Then just go get pizza for yourself. I'm staying here." His voice dropped to a mutter. "I'll just have coffee."

        Vivi actually stomped her foot. "What is the matter with you? There is no more coffee, Arthur! You drank the rest this morning! I threw the jar out!" She propped her hands on her hips. "Which means tonight you'll actually get some sleep."