Life In Colors

"The sun bursts, clouds break
This is life in color

Well you've seen my worst
And yet you see some hope in me
The black and white set us free
Like the queen to the rook
Your decision was a sure thing
Honey yeah, a sure thing
No wonder I feel
Like I'm missing a heavy load"

"Life In Colors – OneRepublic"

--------

"Lily is quite taken by Caitlin."

The words almost startled the young man as his mind had been wandering the waves of thoughts, adopting a similar rhythm as the waves of the ocean ending their course on the white and hot sand. Time was flying by and he wasn't even realising it. It felt like their little holiday at the beach house had begun just this morning, and here he was, watching the day slipping away from his fingers on their last day here.

The week had been eventful, to say the least. He had drowned and his heart had literally stopped for a moment, his girlfriend had left him, he had gotten crazy on the dance floor, he had played hours with his niece, he had bathed in some nostalgic memories with his ex... Oh and he had also almost kissed Caitlin in the heat of a moment.

But he wasn't feeling anxious, like someone could feel on a Sunday night or on the last day of a break, realising he hadn't rested enough. No, Barry Allen felt content and completely okay with going back to his work on Monday morning. It was something new for him, but he wasn't complaining about the lack of anxiousness, to be honest.

Barry turned to his best friend and frowned, not quite understanding her words. "Huh?"

Iris chuckled and nodded towards her daughter and the young doctor playing along the water. "Lily. She loves Caitlin." She explained. "She can't stop talking about her ever since she patched her up after her little tricycle accident. And now she's like attached to her hip."

Iris and Barry were sitting a few meters back, catching the late afternoon sun on the beach on their last day there. Caitlin and Lily had been playing together for the past hour – since the last time they had actually gone into the water – and Eddie had already gone back to the house to pack a few things.

Barry beamed. "Oh yeah, Lily told me the story at least half a dozen times. She brings it up every time there's a silence a bit too long for her."

Iris chuckled again. She had also heard the story more than just a couple of times. Her daughter would bring it up at every opportunity possible. And now that she had gotten the chance to spend more time with the young doctor, most of Lily's sentences began with the name 'Caitlin'. It was quite endearing.

"Well, you have to understand..." Iris spoke with a fake dramatic voice as she retold her daughter's story. "She was hurt and alone and, there, out of nowhere, there's this beautiful young doctor that comes to the rescue. And on top of that, said super doctor is one of my great friends."

Barry sent her a wink as a laugh bubbled up his throat. "That's Caitlin for you, always helping the people in need."

"Well I sure hope she would help a hurt little girl." Iris replied, almost offended by what he could have implied. "She's a doctor after all, she has to help. She made an oath, remember?"

Barry laughed at his best friend's reaction, making his whole body tremble. "You're making a very valid point there."

She smiled sweetly at him. "Yup, but you just wanted to compliment her because you just can't help it." The young woman teased, sending a knowing look in Barry's direction.