Chapter 2: Part 3

When they were sixteen-

Only a handful of kids from the planet of Jelucan would make it into one of the Imperial academies. While Inner Rim worlds often fielded thousands of candidates, slots were strictly limited for citizens of former Separatist worlds. The academy instructors themselves sorted students. At the same moment applicants found out whether they'd gotten in, they learned which school they'd been slotted into, which planet they'd be living on within two weeks' time.

Ciena didn't care which academy it was. Any planet would do. Just as long as she would get to be an Imperial cadet.

On the morning results were to be announced, their entire class congregated in the school's courtyard. Parents weren't allowed on school grounds - only students and Imperial officials - but families lingered outside. Afterward there would be celebrations or consolations. For now Ciena, Thane, and the other applicants only had each other.

"I couldn't sleep," she confessed to Thane as they stood together near the far left of the courtyard, staring at the door where the proctor would appear with the announcements. "At all."

"Me either." Thane gave her a crooked smile. "That gave me time to think of a few backup plans for us."

Ciena held up her hands in protest. She'd refused even to consider alternate paths because it felt like bad luck.

Thane scoffed. "Come on, Ciena. We took the tests. The decision's already been made! So we can't jinx ourselves at this point."

It was true. More than that, from the tone of Thane's voice, Ciena had figured out that these "plans" weren't for real. "Okay, fine. Let me hear it."

"One. We become famous acrobats."

". . . acrobats?"

"Famous acrobats. There's no glory in being mediocre, unknown acrobats. If we're going to do this, we have to do it right."

The proctor would walk out any moment. The crowd's buzzing grew louder, more tense. Ciena's heart raced, but she tried to match Thane's playful tone. "I'll pass. Any other bright ideas for our future? You said that was only number one."

"Two. We travel the galaxy as drummer and exotic dancer."

She raised her eyebrows. "Excuse me, but I'm not becoming an exotic dancer."

"Who said you were. I'll do the dancing. You get the drum."

This time her laughter was genuine. "Only if I get to design your costume."

"Hmmm. Maybe I should move on to plane three-"

Then Thane straightened, eyes widening, as the door opened and the proctor walked out. His black uniform seemed to steal the sunlight from the day. Ciena's gut clenched, but like all the other students, she immediately stood at attention and remained perfectly silent.

Amplifier droids hovered nearby, catching the proctor's voice as he said, "The following is a list of all the school's successful applicants to the various Imperial academies. For the Imperial Academy on Arkanis . . ."

Ciena could've groaned. They were going in alphabetical order by school? They might not know until the very end whether they'd made it or not. She could imagine standing there at attention, minutes draining away, as the terrible realization of her failure sank in. Then she would have to slink out, humiliated. Failure wasn't the same as dishonor, but it felt like it at the moment.

A few minutes into the ceremony - which already felt as though it had lasted forever - the proctor stood up straighter. "For the Royal Imperial Academy on on Coruscant . . ."

No school in the galaxy was more prestigious. No other training came closer to ensuring a high-level career in the Imperial Starfleet.

Ciena had dreamed of going there, which was surely why she imagined the proctor's speaking her name.

But no. He'd really said- "Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree." Both of them, together!

She remained at attention, but she glanced sideways at Thane. If he'd heard it, too, it was definitely for real. Sure enough, he was smiling - but a weary smile, like when he'd cleared the final barrier on an E&A course. Thane closed his eyes and whispered, seemingly to himself, "I'm out of here. I'm gone."

Ciena knew why her friend wanted to leave this planet so badly. Those were reasons she didn't share. She loved Jelucan's sharp beauty, the fellowship among the valley kindred - all of it was beautiful to her. Yet she could leave her homeworld without regret.

She wasn't escaping from anything. She was chasing her dream of becoming an Imperial officer, flinging herself joyfully into space.