Behind the Glass

She is there. And I am here. Two polar opposites, never to interact. I can see her through the glass; clear as day. I smile at her, hoping she would stay. But, my smile goes unoticed to her. She turns her head and looks away. It was then that I recalled, the tape veiling my mouth. I could not talk to her; not even approach. It was why this barrier seperated us both.

         I watch her as she waltzs and laughs. Laughs with friends she's always had. This accursed barrier of glass-- Why must it be transparent? I can look across, and see her there. I do not want to see; no, not her there. Though, I want her to stay.

       She might for a fleeting moment, notice me once, rest her hands on the glass. Close her eyes, and stay like that for a brief moment. I will do the same, enjoying her brief company. With a cheerful smile and a short laugh, she finally departs, promsing that she will be back later. But....what an awful thing to promise. She will not return for a long while, and I will be left here to watch her through the glass, mute and silent; shut up at last.

      Behind this glass, I sometimes worry when I do not see her. She has been gone for quite some time. I start to feel lonely; a deep aching. I put my hands on the glass like I do when she notices me, to at least try and gain some comfort. Perhaps she will be back tomorrow?

     I cannot scream her name. Nor can I call out for her. My mouth is taped shut, after, for....what does I have to say matter to her anyway? ...Matter to anyone at that. She has listened once, patient and smiling, but...perhaps that was just a ploy. A mask to disguise how sick of me she was. Is. Even though....we have scarcely met.

     The tape is here. And the glass is there. Nothing can cross these barriers. Nothing tries. My lungs are wheezing, my mouth is silent, and the glass forever further shuts me up. I wish that I could see her again. From out from behind this glass. For her to stay, even just for half a minute. Behind this glass, I am finally cut off; completely mute. Hear, not even one sound gets through. Nothing. Nothing. Not even the empty beating of my silent heart. I mean, who would want to bear through the gruelling annoyingness of anything I have to say? Not even she can bare to stay.

       So here I am, trapped behind this glass. Behind this tape that makes me mute. Will I find peace here? In this silent torment? Perhaps I will, completely. Silent.