Chapter 3

Word Count: 1374

This morning was all a blur, as when I wake up in the morning I am somnambulant and look half dead. I didn't see Phil this morning since the only class I have with him, art, I have later today.

I stared up at the blossom tree I met Phil at yesterday after school. I figured if I came here during lunch he would probably find me. We didn't actually figure out where we would meet each other or anything, and we got so caught up with our Mario Kart that exchanging numbers completely slipped our minds, so I can't text to find him.

The "pink" blossom tree above me just made me wish for color again. When will I meet my soulmate? What if I never meet my soulmate? I've never kissed someone, what if I did meet my soulmate and I just didn't realize! What if-

"Hi Dan!" Phil greeted, startling me. He's wearing black jeans and some colored shirt, I wonder if the colors match? He can't see color so maybe the colors don't go together, my mom told me certain colors match and certain colors don't work together.

"Jeez, Phil. Don't sneak up on me like that," I clutched at my heart that was beating a mile a minute. His cute smile didn't help it slow down at all.

No! I can't have a crush on him! I refuse!

"What were you thinking about before?" Phil inquired, "you looked a bit alarmed." He looked like he genuinely cared about my thoughts and I felt warmth flood my cheeks.

I sighed, "I was just wondering if I'd already met my soulmate and just didn't know it cause I've never kissed anyone."

Phil thought about that for a moment before saying, "if they're your soulmate, you would probably click with them instantly. And even if you did meet them, they wouldn't just disappear forever if you're meant to be with them."

I nodded slowly, processing what he said. It made sense, I just still can't help freaking out about it though. Maybe I don't even have a soulmate, maybe I'm just not meant to have one.

The bell rang before I could voice my thoughts.

"We have art now, right?" Phil asked as we walked back to the school. His right hand accidentally brushed mine as we walked.

"Yeah," I blushed against my will, "we do," Stop it! Why am I blushing?!? My face feels like it's on fire!

I could hear Phil was talking but I got distracted by his eyes, they must be so beautiful with color if they're this mesmerizing with only shades. Cut it out, Dan!

We sat down beside each other at a table once in the art room, Phil on my right so that once we start drawing our elbows won't constantly be bumping into each other cause I've been cursed with left handedness. 

I tried to focus on what was coming out of Phil's mouth but I got caught up with the shape of his lips. They look like they would be so soft against mine... No! No, no, no, no, no, NO!

"Earth to Dan? Helloooo?" Phil was waving a hand inches from my face.

"Sorry, what?" I grinned sheepishly.

"I was asking if you wanted to be my partner? We have to draw each other," he repeated.

"Oh, this'll be a complete disaster, but sure," I agreed laughing. If I really really try to draw something well it actually doesn't turn out too bad. But this is drawing faces we're talking about, and that seems so hard to me! And this isn't even just any face I have to draw! I have to draw Phil! There's no way I'll do his face justice! Oh dear, I've been set an impossible task.

Phil giggled, "don't worry, I can't draw very well," He must've seen the growing horror in my eyes.

The paper was handed out and I got up to sit in front of Phil so we could see each other's faces. I started on a rough outline of Phil's head, neck, shoulders, and hair. I wonder if it'll be easier for those of us who can't see color yet since we'll be able to see the areas we need to shade in black and white on the persons actual face. The color seeing people might not be able to see the shadows as well, but what do I know, it's not like I have any idea what people can or cannot see once they have the ability to see color.

"Dan? Can I ask you something?" Phil spoke up while I was trying to put his eyes in the correct place.

I didn't stop sketching, "Um, sure?"

"Why do you wear all black everyday?" He questioned curiously, "also look up, i need to draw your eyes."

I lifted my head to make eye contact and opened my mouth to answer, "Um, cause I can't see colors and I don't know what matches... And if I don't get to see color then why should I sport what isn't visible to my eyes."

Phil hummed in understanding, "Can you smile, I want to draw you happy, your resting face is sad."

I didn't bother protesting and smiled for him, which really wasn't very hard, "Can you do the same then?" 

His face effortlessly broke into a breathtaking smile and I felt whatever color blush is color my cheeks. We spent the rest of the class with smiles plastered on and sketching the other.

The bell rang and we started packing up our crap.

"Phil? Do you maybe wanna come over to my house after school today?" I asked hopefully, I really want to spend more time with him.

"Yeah! Meet at the Anime tree?" He suggested, grinning.

I smiled and felt my dimples cave in, "perfect, see ya later!"

"See ya Danny-O!" He waved as he happily made his way to whatever class he had. Did he seriously just call me Danny-O. What the actual Hell.

My next class, math, dragged oooooooon for an eternity! I couldn't even text Phil to pass the time cause once again, I forgot to get his number. You're a real genius Dan, well done, bravo.

The second the bell rang I swept all my useless math into my bag and took off. 

As soon as I reached the blossom tree I laid down on the soft grass. I quite like this tree. I can't wait to see it in color.

I closed my eyes and smiled, I could hear birds chirping the wind blowing through the blossom tree softly. So much better than math class. Why have I never come to this tree before? I'm so glad Phil pointed it out to me

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaniel!" I heard Phil's voice call out happily, forcing the corners of my lips upward. Why does he have so much of an effect on me.

"Numbers!" I blurted out while standing up.

Phil laughed, "Letters!"

"Nonono, I mean we need to swap numbers," I explained, internally face palming at my awkwardness.

"Oooooh," he handed me his phone giggling, "I thought we were just saying random words."

I punched in my number and sent some gibberish, 'Dinofljhosdfs' to myself so that I'd have his number too.

I opened my phone and started creating Phil's contact before he stole my phone, "Hey!"

"I wanna make my contact!" He started typing. He handed the phone back and I started laughing, he'd named himself 'Amazingphil🦁'

I peeked at his phone to see what he'd named me in his phone, "Danisnotonfire? What is that supposed to even mean?!"

Phil grinned, "I don't even know. I just took the first five letters of the gibberish you sent and made a name."

"Right," I couldn't help smiling, how does this boys brain even work, it's so random and interesting.

"Well, my house is that way," I pointed in almost the same direction Phil's house is, "it's a bit farther than your house though."

"That's ok, I don't mind, more time to talk to you," he smiled angelically. 

With that said we headed off, and despite my name in Phil's phone, my face sure felt like it were on fire.