| Chapter 2 |

The scream caused everyone to go silent. Everyone paused to see the possible chaotic scene. I feel like its in human nature to want to see disaster;  other's pain. It's messed up, I agree, but who doesn't laugh at the video of someone falling or accidentally hurting themselves. That's why shows of funny video compilations and home videos exist. I remember when my mo and I were driving to Tabitha's, my mom's closest friend and fellow book club member, place. On our way, there, a line of cars were at bay, taking pictures and trying to take a pee at a car crash. From that day, I questioned the mind of our species. 

A laugh broke the silence. A classmate of mine, Lizzie Twyle, was smiling up at her boyfriend. He  already graduated the year before and always surprised her after school. With a roll of my eyes, I pulled my backpack strap over my shoulder and walked down the hall. The school wasn't large, having around 700 students. For a school in Chicago, it was small compared to other schools. My class alone had around 109 students. It was the smallest class the school has ever had. Most classes had around 200 with a graduating class of almost 300. I was fine with the large scale of students. I had gotten used to being ignored. No one wanted to be friends with the girl who had a mission dad. I would hear them whispering how they didn't want to get involved. Having no friends really didn't bother me. I was fine being alone. 

The warm air hit my face like a blast of an airhorn. Heat wasn't too bad here. The summer was in the 80s while the winter often got to the 30s. May was always my favorite time of year. That happy middle of the cool air with slightly cooler night. During that cool weather, I would often climb out my bedroom window and sit on the roof, just watching the stars. When you look up there, you realize how small you truly are. No matter how perfect or rich you are, you're absolutely nothing when you look up to the sea of bright orbs. 

I always walked home. I had my license but I always found myself just walking everywhere. I enjoyed just looking at everything, my senses taking in every detail at my leisurely pace. Sometimes, I closed my eyes while I walked, feeling like I was flying. My body would soaring through the skies, exploring only the birds could. My mind drifted, imaging what I could do if I could fly. I would fly forever until my father was found. 

Having to hike up my bag sometimes so I wouldn't fall over, I thought of the summer ahead of me. Excitement spread through my blood, making a smile stretch on my face. Jasmine and Sunny, our two Chinese students, would be visiting for the entire summer. They were the only two girls who didn't judge me. The both of them genuinely wanted to be my friends. Over the school year we often email, typing away our emotions. With no Skype in China, it was difficult to see each others faces, so we would send pictures back and forth to keep each other updated on our lives. 

We would spend our summer doing whatever we wanted. From staying up all night, to sharing secrets, to even sneaking out. Of course we never had anywhere to go, but we would walk to the park. There was never anyone there but us. Our suburban neighborhood was really only filled with the elderly. The park only had a couple street lights to light our way as we sat on the picnic tables, enjoying the sounds and each others company. Nights like those were my favorite. 

I passed the park as I walked towards my house. After school there were dozens of people from tiny children to a group of women in an exercise group. Last year, my mom and I would come here for lunches during the weekends. One of my favorite memories involved a weekend at the park with my mom. It was a week before christmas and the park was lit up with christmas lights and decorations. We sat at a picnic table, walking children play in the slowly falling snow. 

"You know what sounds fun?" My mother asked, suspiciously getting up from the table. She grabbed a handful of snow with her gloved hands and tossed it at me, hitting me in the shoulder. 

"Oh, its on!" I jumped up, grabbing a handful of the firm snow, tossing at her immediately. We laughed as we tossed the snowballs back and forth, missing more than actually hitting each other. We ended up laying on the snow covered ground, laughing until our stomaches hurt. When we went home in our snow covered coats and boots, we stripped our layers before making hot chocolate. 

I arrived home without realizing until I was through the front door. Thomas came up to me, meowing to be pet. Dropping my bag on the floor, I picked his rag doll body up. His head rubbed under my chin, a low purr from inside his throat. Together we walked up the stairs and into my room. I kept it cozy with posters of various bands, a couple dozen printed out quotes and polaroids. My twin bed was in the corner, giving my room some space for a desk, a white dresser and a white bookcase filled with books. 

Setting down Thomas, I plopped onto my bed, allowing the purple and white sheets to comfort me. My room was my haven. From the hardwood floor to the off-white walls lined with words of inspiration. I felt movement as Thomas jumped onto the bed, cuddling his body to my pillow. My plan was for when my mom got home from work, I would ask about Jasmine and Sunny before she got to her book-club meeting. They were every Thursday at 5. I had a half day, giving me hours before my mom would come home, and then leave again for several hours. 

I took out my phone from my jean pocket and connected it to the speaker on my bedside table. It was crowded with bobby pins for my light brown bob, a small stacks of books and journals, and a lamp. Turning on my phone I played my favorite song, Piano Sonata No. 14 by Beethoven, also known as the famous Moonlight Sonata. I grew up listening to it, allowing each heavenly note to take my imagination to wherever it desired. It made me cry when I was sad and smile and I was happy. With the beautiful melody playing in my room, my eyes closed, drifting into sleep just like my thoughts. 

**There was the second chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for taking your time to read this! ~EggBun**