CHAPTER TWENTY

THE FIRST WEEK with Schmidt had gone just flawlessly — he and Elise were truly happy with each other, and everyone could tell. There was something absolutely special between the two, and Winston had grown a habit of calling it movie love, the kind of undying devotion and affection it was rarely seen outside movies. Elise had moved out of Jess' room and mostly resided in Schmidt's room now, and she didn't need the mattress either, as the two shared the bed, which in their roommates' opinions was at the same time adorable, and gross. Nick was certain that Schmidt was going to ruin small, innocent Elise but nonetheless, their friends showed only support and were happy for them.

  However, once the first week had passed, Schmidt encountered the first bump on their blissful road. It wasn't a fight, it wasn't anything serious between them but it was the fact that Elise's birthday was coming up in only a few days, and he had no idea what to get for her. They weren't just friends anymore, they were dating and as her boyfriend, Schmidt had the task of getting her the best present, greater than she could expect or imagine and something to blow her mind. And that put pressure on him, because he needed to get something amazing but he could barely come up with anything average.

  "Winston, you must help me. I don't know what to get for Elise on her birthday, but it needs to be something epic. She's my girlfriend now, and I need to make sure she knows I love her unconditionally", Schmidt whined as he lowered his head between his arms and rested against the bar counter. The two men had come to keep company to Nick during his shift, and Schmidt didn't mind because now, he could ask for help but it seemed neither of his friends were willing to assist him.

  "I'm pretty sure she knows that already, Schmidty", Nick pointed out from across the counter he was wiping, and in return Schmidt shot him a glare, which Winston couldn't help but imitate.

  "Perhaps, perhaps she doesn't. Elise is very insecure and fragile. Like a glass angel! It is my duty to protect her and make her feel loved when she can't do it herself and therefore, my gift needs to be something that says unconditional love", Schmidt explained with a stern look, demanding only the best for his beloved Elise, requiring something amazing instead of some lame gift card or something equally bad. He wanted his gift to bring Elise to tears of joy, and he wanted to hug her and tell her it was no big deal even if it was a huge present, and he wasn't going to settle for any less.

  "That is true. Elise is very sensitive. I suggest you buy her jewellery", Winston shrugged in the belief that it was a good idea, and perhaps it was, but not good enough for Schmidt. Scoffing, the man smacked Winston in the back of the head and shook his head, rather frustrated with his friends.

  "Idiots. I suppose I will just have to rely on my instincts and do what feels right", Schmidt sighed, but frankly, neither Nick or Winston doubted his ability to make it the best possible birthday for Elise. Schmidt had a tendency to be a bit of a perfectionist, and that alone confirmed that he wasn't going to settle for less than perfect when it came to Elise, especially when he considered the woman herself to be perfect.

  And as always, Schmidt was going to succeed.

»

Elise was quite aware of what day it was, but she had elected to ignore the fact that she was turning older again in order to not draw any attention to herself. She had briefly mentioned her birthday to Schmidt a few days ago, but she had assured that she didn't need cake or anything, because ever since childhood, her birthdays had been a profound disappointment. Each year, her mother had promised to give her a proper party, but somehow things always went south and therefore, to save herself from the tears, Elise preferred not celebrating. She wasn't trying to hide her birthday from anyone, not even herself, but she had learned that it was easier to just not get her hopes up — something that Jess agreed with.