Prologue

Emily sensed the figure behind her before she heard its following footsteps. Clutching her robe around her body, she sped up. The dim chandelier light cast eerie shadows along the walls of the corridor. The faces of the old owners of the former-mansion-turned-school, regal and stern in the daylight, appeared sinister and odd in the darkness. The eyes of their portraits watched her from every angle. There was no escaping anything in this school.

The footsteps behind Emily quickened their pace. As a result, Emily slowed. She wasn’t doing anything wrong. She was simply going for a midnight stroll, admiring the ancient architecture of the boarding school’s halls. She tried to convince herself over and over that this was so, but she knew she was on a dangerous mission, one she couldn’t escape now that she had started.

Her breathing was heavy as her nerves started to act up. The corridor began to move back and forth and blur. Emily wanted to stop and gather herself, compose herself before she knocked on the headmistress’s door, but the footsteps were still behind her. She had no choice but to continue without stopping and without turning around.

For all she knew, the person behind her was just another student enjoying the still and quiet calmness that consumed the school at night, a large change from the hustling and bustling corridors and classrooms during the school day. Nighttime was the perfect time for one to gather their thoughts, reflect, and relax.

Emily had a sick feeling, though, the footsteps behind her were meant for only her. No matter where she went, they were watching. They were always watching, always following. What would Emily say if the body the footsteps belonged to caught up to her? How would she deny the obvious?

She squealed as a bony hand wrapped itself around her upper arm, stopping her in her tracks. Another hand covered her mouth.

“Not going to the headmistress, are you? Not going to break your promise, report us, turn us in,” a male’s voice whispered menacingly in her ear. Emily couldn’t decide whether he was asking her questions or giving her orders. His tone chilled her bones.

She shook her head furiously, unable to say a word with the boy’s hand covering her mouth.

“You’re lying!” He pushed her to the floor.

Emily let out a gasp as she hit the cold, stone floor. The blow knocked the breath out of her body.

“I want out,” she pleaded from her spot crumpled on the floor. She clutched her arms close to her body protectively. “I won’t tell anyone, I promise.” Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at the boy. “Please,” she whimpered, “I don’t want to do this anymore.”

A girl stepped out of the shadows, a haughty expression stretching from ear to ear. “You took an oath.”

Emily’s eyes darted from the boy to the girl and back again. She knew what these people did to deserters. She was there when they caught Tommy. His cries for forgiveness, his pleas for reason, haunted her dreams every night. She was going to end up just like him. The horrific thought sent a sob through her body.

She was on her knees, begging. “I won’t tell a soul. Just let me out, please!”

The girl neared her. “Tommy promised the same thing.”

Emily cried harder. “I’m not like Tommy. I promise, no one will ever know!”

The boy hoisted her up and gripped her arms tightly. He began to pull her down the corridor, away from the headmistress’s office.

“We can’t let you go after what we did to Tommy,” he reasoned. “After all, Emily, you know we always play fair.” He looked her in the eyes. “Letting you go wouldn’t be fair, now would it?”

Despite herself, Emily shook her head. “Please, please, please,” she said over and over.

“Shut her up,” the girl ordered angrily, her eyes flickering around the corridor. “She is going to wake up the whole bloody school.”

Emily broke free from the boy’s grasp and ran down the corridor. “Professor Scott!” she cried. “Professor Scott!”

Something hard hit her in the back of the head. The room went dark. Emily’s body hit the stone floor with a shocking smack.

“Let’s get rid of her,” the girl said as both she and the boy grabbed a limp arm and dragged Emily’s body across the floor.