Chapter 40

The clock was edging closer and closer to 8:00 P.M and River would be here any minute.

"Okay, how do I look? I kinda wish I had some lipstick or something." I watched my figure in the bathroom mirror as Leo stood behind me with an excited smile.

"I bet someone at the venue with have something you can borrow. Don't girls usually share makeup in the bathroom?"

I turned around and faced him as I rolled my eyes. "I wouldn't know. I've been surrounded by booger picking boys my whole life." Leo let out a laugh as I followed.

"You know what, Wendy?" Leo said as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me in closer to his body. "I'm so happy to be on this adventure with you. I don't think my life could have turned out any better. This is my perfect timeline."

I grinned big and leaned up to kiss him. "I was thinking the same thing last night. There's all these different dimensions, dimensions where a different version of ourselves and our lives exist. Somehow...somehow you and I ended up in this one."

I remember this staticky feeling that lept through my body, almost an electric sensation. Leo seemed to always voice the words I thought and do the things I imagined. I was never not in shock at the spark we seemed to have created when we were together. That just doesn't happen often...not like this. Leo was my soulmate. He still is, and I'm coming for him.

A soft knock sounded at the doorway as we both jumped and turned. "That's probably him." Leo walked out of the bathroom and towards the door as I sat on the bed.

"Hello, I love that jacket!" River walked in as he greeted Leo. His long hair was slicked black and he wore a black as night button up shirt. "And you! Well, you're just a daisy." He smiled towards me with his hands on his hips and then walked back towards Leo. "You guys have your song list ready?"

"Yeah, yeah. It's right here." Leo ruffled around in his jean pocket until the crumbled up piece of paper appeared in his hand.

River took the paper and examined it for a long while. "I love these." He would say in between long streams of silence. "This is good." His finger fiddled around the area of his chin as though he had a goatee, but there was no hair. Finally, he stopped and looked up at us both. "How do you two feel about adding Don't Go Breakin' My Heart and Blue Moon?"

I looked at Leo as he nodded his head towards River. "I think that's a great idea. What do you think, babe?"

I smiled and imagined the lights shining on us on stage while we sang those songs. "Sounds wonderful."

"Perfect." River gave a heart warming grin. "We've got a band to back you guys up, also. Are you guys ready to go?"

"Yeah! Come on!" I excitedly jumped up and grabbed Leo's hand. "I can't fucking wait!"

River and Leo chuckled as we headed out the door and into River's red 1967 Ferrari Spyder. I gazed at it as I felt my eyes grow wide. "Sweet ride." Leo chuckled as he admired the vehicle.

"Thanks." River smiled and opened the driver's seat door. "Just hop in."

Leo jumped over and then grabbed my hand as I gently stepped into the car, trying to not rip my dress.

We raced down the street as though we were competing in NASCAR. The radio blared a tune I didn't know at the moment. A song I now listen to for it's nostalgic magic, Wicked Game by Chris Issak.

It took around 30 minutes to arrive at the Neon Lounge because of the heavy L.A. traffic. As we stepped out of the car, Leo walked close to River as he spoke. "Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that we got a ride yesterday from this guy. He was a music producer." River stopped in his place and I began to notice the herds people gushing into the venue. "He didn't tell me he was or anything, I just saw his business card lying on the floor of the car."

River gave out a happy yelp as he laid his hand on Leo's shoulder. "Did you tell him about tonight?"

Leo smiled and nodded his head as he ran his fingers through his hair. "Yeah, yeah, I did."

"Hell fucking yeah!" River yelled. "Let's get in." We both followed River into the Neon Lounge as the vibrant music boomed all around us in the dark place. We ended up in a back stage area where it wasn't as loud. All three of us sat on a black couch in a dressing room as 3 unknown people filled the room.

"Hey man." One guy with black boots nodded towards River.

"What time do you go on?" A tall girl asked.

"9:30." River answered as he took a swig of his beer before turning towards us. "This is your guys' band." He said, motioning towards the three people. "Hal is the bassist." River pointed towards the guy with black boots as he gave a smirk. "Sam is the drummer." The tall girl leaned in to shake both of our hands. "And Jack is the guitarist. He doesn't talk much but he's cool." Jack shrugged and scooped his long blonde hair behind his ear.

"I'm really looking forward to playing with you guys. River has gone on and on about how great you two are." Sam gave a big smile and I felt excited to have an opportunity to be close friends with a girl my age.

"Well, they are great!" River chuckled.

Leo and I smiled and then I turned to Sam. "Where's the bathroom?"

"Oh, I'll show you!" She happily grabbed my hand as we both scurried down the hall. We walked into the blue tiled room where the florescent lights were dull and flickering.

"Uhm, do you have any...lipstick that I can borrow?" I nervously asked.

"Oh, of course! You can borrow any of my makeup." Sam reached into her bag and pulled out a a container filled with numerous things I had never used before. I hesitantly reached into the bag, oblivious of how to apply any of it.

"Do you want me to do it for you?" Sam sweetly asked.

I laughed at myself. I couldn't help but think that I probably looked like tamed animal released into the wild. "Yeah."

Sam took some black mascara and brushed it against my lashes before applying red lip liner and lipstick onto me. She added some concealer and blush before she allowed me to look into the mirror.

"All done! What do you think?"

"I love it! Holy shit." I laughed in shock as I couldn't believe the beautiful girl in the mirror was me.

"You're so pretty, Wendy, honestly you look just as amazing without makeup. I mean, damn, I barely had to apply anything."

"What? Really?" I was surprised by this entire encounter. I was making friends with a girl for the first time, I was about to go on stage, and I was wearing makeup for the first time.

"Yes, really! I have to put on so much makeup, it takes me about 30 minutes to do it all." Sam scoffed and shook her head. "But I enjoy it. Anyways, wanna go show the boys?"