hot line - blurb

tee was reading a book, listening to the constant fall of rain outside their apartment, when her mind wandered back to last night. last night's argument, to be exact.

it was the first real fight they'd had since tee moved in for good. it was bound to happen eventually, but it still left both of them aching with raw anger and hurt.

in the moment of yelling, frustration, slamming doors followed by tears, the fight had seemed like the most dangerous thing to ever threaten their relationship.

now, tee could hardly remember what the argument had even been about.

evan would be home from work in less than an hour.

tee sighed and stood from the bed- the bed that had been missing one person last night, because evan slept on the couch.

she headed to the kitchen, intending to make herself something warm to chase away the chill from the rainy, cold atmosphere. she grabbed the first mug she saw- it happened to be evan's favorite- a white ceramic mug featuring shakespeare's quote: "all the world's a stage." tee remembered evan explaining to her that, because shakespeare's theatre was literally called the globe, the quote was not only deeply philosophical; it was also a pun.

tee figured shakespeare would have appreciated that his pun was printed on a mug for hot chocolate.

there was a knock at the door. tee set down the mug and hurried down the hall, not sure what she was expecting. she swung open the door.

evan stood on the doorstep, his hair dripping from the rain. 

for a moment they both stood there, and tee frantically searched through the millions of things flooding her mind for something to say. before she found one, she noticed the object tucked in the crook of evan's arm.

"...is that a life-sized cardboard cutout of fiona?" tee asked, incredulous.

evan grinned. "maybe."

"is that your apology?"

"i was thinking more along the lines of another decorative bathroom fixture, but whatever works for you i guess."

he looked ridiculous, standing there half-soaked in the outfit he had worn to teach literature not an hour before, holding the fiona cutout that was miraculously dry. tee smirked, pulled the fiona cutout from evan's arms and closed the door.

another knock, as expected.

tee opened the door. "how can i help you?" she asked.

evan smiled again, and it reached his eyes. "i'm just looking for a friend."  

- - -