101 (long AF) [Krat]

Ahh so like once upon a time my friend asked me to write a story about wolves with her in it and a vague storyline was born. I wrote it on and off for a while, as well as making loads of little character cards. It was going well and cute until I decided to start on my main story (which is coming along grindingly slow at the moment). The wolf story had stopped completely but it was nagging at my consciousness, I couldn't stop thinking about it. So now that I've decided to hunker down and get serious on my main story, I need to get rid of some others.

   This is the start of the wolf story I wrote, with me and my friend as side characters. It's not very good, but I never really wanted it to be.

Summary: This is my closure on a half carved out idea.

-------------------------------------------------------

     I growled low in my throat. I circled around the clearing, silver eyes never straying from dark blue. As I watched, he tensed his haunches ever so slightly. I rolled out of the way as he pounced, causing him to thud to the ground empty clawed. He turned swiftly, just in time to be hit in the chest by my out stretched paws. He grunted in surprise as he fell to the ground, my paws planted on his chest. Before I could declare my victory, he kicked my stomach with his hind legs, causing me to vault over his head. The wind knocked out of me, I lay on my back, gasping and trying to catch my breath until I felt a presence beside me. I screwed my eyes shut as I felt the cool feeling of claws rest on my neck.

     Then a deep voice spoke. "I do believe I win."

    I opened my eyes and sighed in exasperation. "Yes, you do. I nearly got you though. If I had acted quicker..."

     "Hmmm, but you didn't," the voice said, removing his claws from my neck. "So close as you were, I am the victor."

     I sighed again, and got to my paws. "That's 784 times in a row," I muttered.

     He obviously heard me as he cuffed me on the ear gently. "Tell you what, I'll race you back to camp, you always win races," he offered.

     I brightened immediately. I was very fast. I was the fastest she-wolf in the pack, only ever beat by the lead hunter, Shyton.

     I nodded eagerly. As soon as I nodded, he took off running, laughing his head off. I yelped in surprise and bounded after him, yelling in aggravation, "Bairre! I'll pull out your tail fur in your sleep!"

     He only laughed harder, yelling back at me, "You'll have to catch me first!"

     I ran even faster, until I was nearly flying along the ground, wind blowing through my fur. As I passed a black, furry, blur, I whooped and called back, "I'll wait for you to catch up, Oh Great and Mighty Alpha!"

     I leaped over a fallen tree and slowed down. I skidded to a halt at the top of a ravine. I sat back on my haunches, hardly out of breath. A few moments later, a black wolf the size of a black bear burst out of the undergrowth. He came to an abrupt halt and looked at me.

   "What took you so long?" I asked, a mischievous twinkle in my silver eyes.

     He sighed in exasperation, his beautiful dark blue eyes raised to the heavens. "Even with a head start I can't beat you."

     I smiled gleefully. "That's 1,256 times in a row! One would think you would get used to losing."

     "Hey, you always complain when I beat you in training," he whined.

     "True, true. But it's getting dark, we should see if Shyton and the rest of the hunters brought anything good back."

     "Fine."