Chapter 24

Elizabeta picks you up early in the morning. It's the first day of spring break, and you can't wait to start your vacation. Elizabeta helps you carry your bags to her small car. They easily fit in the trunk with her bags too. You climb into the passenger side of the car.

"Ready to go?" Elizabeta asks.

"Ready," you answer with a nod. You do your best not to shiver too much. It's still chilly in March, and you only have on a light jacket. You won't need anything heavier in Hawaii.

"Man, it seemed like spring break would never get here," Elizabeta says, her eyes on the road. "I've been so excited I could hardly sleep."

"I know," you say in agreement. "It's been so busy, but the weeks seemed to drag on."

The two of you chat in the car for the whole ride to the airport. You want to ask her what's going on with Gilbert, but decide its better not to bring that up now. She's been avoiding the subject whenever you two talk. The conversation turns to what kinds of swimsuits you brought when the airport comes into view. A few minutes later, Elizabeta is parking her car in the parking structure, and the two of you carry your bags to the airport.

Check in goes smoothly, and you don't have to wait too long to board the plane. The flight will last for several hours, so you brought along a book to read and your iPod in its Russian flag case. Nothing out of the ordinary happens on the flight. The plane hits some turbulence once, but everything works out all right. You and Elizabeta become excited when you see the cluster of islands in the clear cerulean water out the small airplane window.

The plane touches down on the runway with a few bumps. You blink in surprise as you exit the plane. The heat and humidity slams into you like a wall of jello. The air is noticeably thicker from the moisture, but it has a salty sea tang to it as well.

"Man it's hot," Elizabeta says. "The humidity's gonna do a number on my hair."

You laugh and pull her through the airport to the baggage claim. You can't wait to get your swimsuit on and cool off in the ocean. The hotel the two of you stay in is right off the beach. Unfortunately, the balcony in your room faces the other way, but the sea breeze still floats in through the open doors. You and Elizabeta change into your swimsuits and hit the beach.

You have on simple black swimsuit shorts and a colorful tankini top. Elizabeta has on a green bikini that accents her hair and eyes. You float in the cool ocean while avoiding getting splashed in the face by waves. The two of you also do quite a bit of sunbathing. It would be nice to have a tan for graduation. For dinner, you go to a restaurant in the hotel. It's nothing fancy, but it tastes great after a day running around in the sun.

When you get back to your room, you call Ivan. He took the news pretty well when you told him you were leaving for break. You promised to stay safe and have fun. You can't call him as often as you'd like because you don't want to pay for a boatload of roaming charges, but you figure you should tell him you landed safely.

He picks up after the first ring. "Hello подсолнечник (sunflower)."

"Hi Ivan. I miss you already," you tell him.

He chuckles. "As I do you. How is the weather?"

"Sunny and warm," you say excitedly. "I wish you were here to see it. It's so beautiful here!"

"I'm sure it is sunflower, but I'd rather see you."

You giggle. "Oh Ivan, I'll be back in a few weeks," you say reassuringly.

"And I will count down the days."

"I'll call you again later in the week, okay?"

"Da, sunflower. Be safe," he says lovingly.