xxxviii. IS THAT SUPPOSED TO SCARE ME?

[REQUEST - MOST OF THE PLOT CAME FROM Sad_Eyes_2003 BUT I CHANGED SOME PARTS]

Bucky wandered the streets of the quaint town as he did many nights. He enjoyed the peace and quiet and leaving at night meant his disappearance didn't bother any of the Avengers he was living with.

He took in the cool breeze and the night sky, lifting his baseball cap shadowed head to look at the stars. He felt a solid surface bump into him whilst walking and so, he dropped his head back down to see you with your hands shoved into your hooded sweatshirt pockets just like he had done. You exchanged apologies before continuing down the street.

It was only when Bucky reached into his back pocket to fish out some money for the steaming coffee he ordered that he realized you had, in fact, stolen his wallet. "You've got to be kidding me." Bucky murmured, exiting the store whilst meanwhile you were back at your dingy apartment looking through the contents of Bucky's wallet.

It was the next day when Bucky scoured through various amounts of CCTV footage to try and locate both you and his missing wallet. He hadn't told anyone of the incident, not thinking to much of it and when he was sure he had traced you back to an abandoned block of apartments, he set off that night to find you.

His metal hand grazed the splintered wood of the banisters as he searched each floor. Something about the isolation of this building was comforting to him. He suspected it was that it reminded him of the small apartment he hid out in whilst in Bucharest.

He heard shuffling from the apartment above him so hurriedly but carefully he made his way up, trying to make as little noise as possible. "Excuse me?" Bucky's voice was gentle but it still startled you. You turned on your heel raising your hand up in his direction with an open palm. Bucky furrowed his eyebrows but it was only when he saw a plant, extending from a broken floorboard, trap his arm that he realized you had some kind of power. His eyes widened upon seeing you using your ability and as you slipped past him, he grabbed onto your arm.

"I can help you. I'm an Avenger." Your eyes softened for a moment of weakness. You'd never heard someone so concerned and for a single second you thought that maybe he did care.

You let the emotion fade from your eyes when you brought your hand up again, this time sending a gust of wind towards Bucky making him release your arm. When the air had cleared of the dusty breeze, you were no longer there and Bucky was left to release himself from your natural trap.

His enhanced senses were a real advantage as he used his hearing to track your moving footsteps to the stairwell and so he began climbing the same stairs to find you. He was meters away now and so with a commanding voice he called out for you to stop. You turned in fear to see him now with a small distance from you.

"Here." You chucked his wallet towards him and he picked it up precariously. Observing it, he realized nothing was taken. "I didn't have the guts to spend it." Your tone came out bitter, as intended, but it seemed that Bucky looked at you with pity.

You raised your hand again but this time you delayed sending any natural weapons at Bucky.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" he smirked, gesturing to your raised hand. Your inner voice was telling you to run away. He was just stalling, you thought. He's an Avenger, he just wants to lock me up with the other freaks. You lowered your hand hesitantly and Bucky took that as a sign that he could move closer.

You wanted to flee from the scene but this was the longest conversation you'd had in a while. You never really liked people, you were afraid they thought of you as some kind of freak and so, you shut yourself out. But now, this man stood in front of you, removing his glove. You were unsure what this gesture was supposed to mean until he lifted his hand towards you.

"If you think you're a weirdo, you'll love this." His metal arm glinted under the light of the moon. You could tell this was a shared problem for the both of you. Insecurity. But it wouldn't work.

You stepped back and for a moment the man looked offended. "I think I'm worse." With that, you crouched to the ground, harnessing your wind powers and immediately you were gliding through the air.

Bucky reached into his pocket for his phone, realising that he might need to consult a bit of help on this particular person whom he still didn't know the name of. "Hey Steve, I've got a problem..."

The following week, Tony was positive it was you that he'd found in the security camera footage of one of the supermarkets nearby another discarded block of apartments. And that's how Steve, Sam, Wanda, Tony and Bucky found themselves all suited up on the roof of a 24-hour minimarket.

Bucky had insisted he go in first, saying he knew you best through the single conversation you'd shared and although most everyone else was hesitant, they let him do so. The team had located which apartment was yours from their vantage point and now Bucky had to go in alone whilst the rest remained nearby for backup.

"It's me again." Bucky's tone was teasing and light as he entered your apartment. With the bag slung over your shoulder, it was clear you knew they were coming. "Why don't you leave me alone? Am I breaking the law or something? Am I hell-bent on world destruction? No? Then this doesn't concern the Avengers."

You tried to push past the man but he stopped you. "I want to help." From the apartment two doors down, the other four were listening intensely as they readied themselves. Sam and Wanda exchanged looks and raised eyebrows as they thought the same thing. Since when has Bucky been this concerned about anyone?

"I don't want your help." You brought your hands together and Bucky noticed the water from the glass sitting on the table rise and the tap began shaking. "Wanda." Bucky called through his earpiece and just as the faucet of the tap broke off, a red light began to glow around the material and stop it in the air. You turned back to see the brunette holding her hands in a position similar to yours and so, with all the power you had, you brought your hands together quickly and your powers overwhelmed hers.

The sound of the water spraying out of the tap was your cue to leave but you were stopped by Captain America himself. "I'm going to need you to stop right there, ma'am." With a small smirk, you pushed your hands forward and a gust of wind sent Steve flying into a wall. 'Stand down." Tony ordered with his repulsor lit palm to your face.

You were about to raise your hands again until you were knocked over onto your back. Sam had entered through the window and stood in front of it proudly. "Gotcha." He joked with a small smile. You brought your hands out again and used your wind control to make him fly about in wry directions. You swore you could've heard Bucky's chuckle as you went a bit crazy with changing the wind direction. "Gotcha." You shouted back to an infuriated Sam now laying, exhausted, on the ground.

You felt an almost metal like arm grab you from behind but you were sure it wasn't Bucky's and you were proved right when a British accent muttered something to Wanda along the lines of "I suspected you might need some help."

You tried to send a burst of wind to his abdomen but his red body became transparent in time to avoid it. "I'm Vision. It's very nice to meet you. Mr. Barnes has told us a lot of you."

You remained in Vision's grasp as the others all gathered in front of you. "As I was saying, I want to help you. We can offer you accommodation at the Avengers facility- "

"We can?"

"Shut up, Tony." Wanda spat back and Bucky looked at the both of them with a pointed glare.

"We can give you a home, we can help you learn how to control your powers." Steve comforted. You looked at all of them skeptically and unsure. "They did it for me. I really think you should let us help you." Wanda's argument was convincing. From what you could see she was very much like you. Her powers were strong and you assumed, at times, she felt her powers were stronger than her.

"Fine, I'll come with you." Vision released his light grip on you and you stumbled forward looking at all of them expectantly. "So are we going somewhere or..." They all nodded and their conversations overlapped as they led out of the apartment. Bucky stood back waiting for you to pass by him and he walked beside you. "I'm James, by the way. But you can call me Bucky."

"(Y/N)."

"Well it's nice to meet the person that could successfully steal my wallet."

"It really wasn't that hard, pal. You have to step up your game."

"Hey!"