Prologue

We first met in playgroup when we were 2. I can't remember much, but from the stories that my mum tells me, we were friends from the moment we laid our eyes on each other. His name was Ace. As we grew up together, our families were best friends. As kids I would ride on his bus after school on Friday afternoons. We played games on the filthy seats and would squeal when we let go of the handles while we were turning a corner, we thought we were "dare devils"! 

I vividly remember his sandy hair that looked so shiny and soft in the warm sun and his toothy grin when he had lost his two front teeth. His blue eyes were as bight as the sky and his skin was as pale as milk, despite all the hours we spent in the sun. 

We continued this relationship throughout primary school. Although we weren't best friends, I could always find comfort in spending time with Ace. We wrestled each other, played cricket, rugby and my favourite game of all time, murder in the dark. We argued a lot, like I did with everyone, especially when it was to do with height because I loved to be taller than everyone and Ace was my biggest rival. 

Although, most things in life have to change, whether you like it or not and sometimes you just have to accept that things will not be the same forever. As primary school came to a close we had to say goodbye to our current lives and be prepared for work, effort and a change in relationships. That's the saddest part, the thought that Ace's and I could have reached our finale.