Happy Birthday! [Sebastian x Reader]

Today is, perhaps, a rather 'important' day. After all, it's your birthday.

To humans, that's rather important. It means one less year to go. However, to a demon, it's just a trivial date.

For you, today is a rather annoying day. It means one less year you can stay in the same place without arousing suspicion. One less year since you actually aged.

For a half-demon, birthdays are just simple reminders. That they aren't human; that they're something completely different. Human... but not quite.

Honestly, why would such a trivial date matter to someone who has demon blood running through their veins?

With the appearance of a teenager and abnormal strength, humans need to no nothing more. Their little brains wouldn't be able to comprehend it, anyway.

To be honest, your life is like a broken stopwatch. It keeps on counting down, but manages to never reach zero. Never reaching the end. Within a millennium, you've managed to rake in quite the profit. Meddling in wars brings in a vast amount of money.

However, that can get boring rather quickly.

So, now, you do something else. You work for the Queen. Or, well, you worked for the Queen. Until she decided a little brat called Ciel would benefit from your being there more.
That brings us to a new chapter of your life. Something new.

~*~*~*~

"What's your name?" The kid ordered, his eyes lacking the childish glint you expected.

"I don't have one." Was your response. Though, you did have a name. It's just that you forgot what it was. "Call me whatever you wish to call me."

Earl Ciel Phantomhive stared at you for a moment, analysing your entire existence. Shame, really. There really wasn't much to look at. The only thing that was rather 'pretty' was a Lily that was pinned carefully in your hair.

"Lily. That will be your name." Ciel looked bored. This will be such a boring experience. You thought. If only you had known; if only you had known of how magical the Phantomhive manor can be.

"If you'd please come this way, I will show you to your room." Sebastian ushered you away into an unknown place.

"Mr Demon, is it fun being a butler?" You asked, curiosity taking over. His eyes widened, surprise apparent within them. "Babysitting sounds dull, if you ask me." You added.

Sebastian did not answer your question, merely leaving you inside your new room.

So far, the Phantomhive manor did not seem like anything special. Although, a man with ash eyes did intrigue you slightly.

Only slightly, of course.

*~*~*~*

After wearing the new apparel her Majesty had given you, you left the confines of your room, walking down the corridors slowly, the corset making you feel like a squished pancake.

"Ah, it's the Demon." You called out, thinking aloud once again. The demon butler turned, smiling slightly at the sight of you.

"Why, isn't it Miss Lily." Sebastian said your new name carefully, as though to not offend you.

"Drop the formality, I'm not a noble. Or anything of the sort, really." Sighing, your eyes locked.

"I never actually got your name. Or is 'Demon' okay?"

"Sebastian Michaelis, head butler of the Phantomhive manor. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The demon bowed, properly greeting you.

How boring. You couldn't help but think. "Mr Michaelis, then? You seem rather accustomed to human customs, for a demon, of course." Pausing for a moment, you curtsied. "I am Lily, the newest member of staff at the Phantomhive manor. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr Michaelis."

Sebastian smiled, quite amused at your performance. "There is no need for such formality, Miss Lily."

"You'll be 'Mr Michaelis' for as long as you call me 'Miss Lily.' It's creepy, so please don't do it." You cringed slightly, smiling afterwards.

The first day at the Phantomhive manor was rather uneventful. The first night, on the other hand...

"Isn't it beautiful?" A silky soft voice asked as you gazed up at the sky.

Perhaps, the only thing you found rather interesting about the Phantomhive Manor was the view. Outside, at night, you could see so many stars in the sky, each of them seemingly calling out to you.

"It really is."

Sebastian looked down on you, as you sat down, looking up. "Can I ask you something, Mr Michaelis?"

"Isn't that a question?" Sebastian retorted. Rolling your eyes, you carried on.

"What do you do when you feel as though you're being eaten from within? Like there's darkness within my heart that wants to break free? I know that you aren't exactly the best person to ask that to. But what would you do?"

Unlike before, Sebastian began to answer your question. "If you feel like that, then I will save you from that darkness."

"A demon saving someone. That's new."

Despite your quick response, his words sunk in. "You'll catch a cold, My Lady." Sebastian placed
his tailcoat on your shoulders.

"Thank you." Standing, you smiled sincerely. "Wait..." A moment's silence. "Didn't you just increase the formality?"

The pair of you went back, into a manor of boredom for you. A life without light.

"Surprise!" A chorus of voices called out. "Happy birthday!"

Wide eyed, you took a moment to compose yourself. It didn't work. Her Majesty stood in the centre of the room, looking quite happy at your reaction.

"Happy Birthday, Lily." She said, smiling.

For once, you laughed. Not at the shock. Not at the various amounts of people you didn't know. But at the banner at the back of the room.

'Happy Birthday and Welcome to the Phantomhive Manor!' Though your laughter was not expected, nor justified, you found yourself laughing far too much.

"What's so funny?" Ciel asked.

"No, it's nothing." You wiped away your tears of laughter from your eyes, smiling. "Thanks. For all of this."

A quartet played, dancing taking place within the middle of the hall. "Will you dance with me, My Lady?" Sebastian extended his hand.

"I thought servants didn't dance?" Was your response, though you stilled grabbed his hand.

"This is a special exception."
Laughing slightly, you took to the dance floor. "I do have something I should tell you." Sebastian
looked at you, waiting.

"I really, and I mean really can't dance."