Chapter Eleven|Mad As Rabbits

Phil

The loud clicking sound of the metal door unlocking excited Phil as he jumped up from his spot on the bed. Standing in the door frame with metal keys in her right hand, and bony hands on her hips stood Nurse Linda. She had the most prude, and disproving expression on her face as she shook her head at Phil.

"I can't believe I almost lost my job over you," she said, finally.

Phil smiled, "I'm sorry, was I too much to handle, sweetheart? I'll be good next time, I promise."

Linda shakes her head, "Phillip, you know the rules like the back of your hand. They never  change. You go to your room after sessions, and only your room. I couldn't find you for hours. I had to ask the janitor if he saw you anywhere. Luckily, he sees everything."

Phil laughs, "I was feeling lonely."

"You are always feeling lonely," Linda replied, still irritated.

At the sound of laughter Evan had started to slowly blink open his eyes, squinting as he adjusts to the sunlight from the window. When he sees Phil and Linda he immediately sits up rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," Phil chirps with a smile.

Evan groaned a bit but smiled, "Morning."

Linda rolled her eyes, "You two are in big trouble. Who let you two stay in the same room? It is strictly forbidden."

Phil shrugs, "We were sleeping before the door was closed, so we don't know. Plus, it's not like we did anything but sleep."

Linda raises her eyebrows, "Sleeping? Actually sleeping? Since when did Phillip Lester ever sleep?"

Phil smiles, "I had some help this time."

"Well, I never," she says in disbelief. She looks over at Evan, "Angels are real. I never met a person who could help Phillip get to sleep. I swear, you're better than any drug I've ever encountered."

Evan blushes, and smiles sheepishly, but he doesn't say anything.

"Who's your nurse by the way? She is probably the one that let you two break the rules. I ought to teach her a lesson for her ignorance. We can't have patients breaking the rules," Linda said, switching back to her sassy tone.

"Nurse Greta," Evan said quietly.

Phil noted that Evan never really talked to anyone but him. When he did talk to someone else he seemed shy, and lost. Not nearly as sweet, and curious as he is. Why wasn't Evan himself around others?

"Oh, I should've known it was Ol' Greta. Worked here longer than me, and she still don't follow the code. She's got a soft spot for pretty boys like you two. Always letting emotions get in the way of her work. Always walking around like she doesn't know the floor from the ceiling! That woman is more carefree than a frat boy. Should've had her fired long ago," Linda rambles, clearly annoyed.

"How long have you worked here?" Phil asked.

"Fifteen years. Never once met such a lazy nurse as Greta. She probably just didn't want to deal with you."

Phil laughs, "No one does."

"Well, actually that's not true. Doctor Howell wants to speak with you, Phillip."

Phil's smile leaves his face, and he looks down at the floor. I hurt him, I hurt him.

"Tell him I don't want to speak to him today," Phil says quietly.

Evan senses his uneasiness, and starts to rub his back worryingly. He says that everything will be okay with his eyes, and Phil smiles at him gently. He really appreciates how kind he'd been this last week.