Sleep

I decide to stay awake. I remember Francesca. How many days have I been here? At least one. I don't see a clock anywhere. I don't get up, with Emric's head in my lap. I watch him sleep. I do my best not to move. When I move, he stirs. He looks so tired. I just watch his calm face.

Soon, his face isn't calm. It's angry. He's having a nightmare. I go to wake him up, but stop. "Valeska," he murmurs, face sad. "Valeska?" I watch. "Valeska... no, please. Darling? Shh... Valeska?" He cries, real tears on his face. I decide to wake him.

I shake his shoulder gently. "Emric?" I whisper. "Emric, wake up." He wakes. He stares at me. "Are you okay, darling?" I ask.

His face brightens slightly. He doesn't say anything for a bit. "You called me darling," he murmurs. I give him a perplexed look. He looks into his hands, face somber. "You died. Malvin killed you," he whispers. I sit up and wrap my arms behind his neck. I pull him down beside me. "Hold on," he murmurs. He stands, and locks his door. Then he returns, hands around my torso, mine around his neck.

I drift to sleep.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I wake up and Emric isn't there. I sit up. I'm alone. I lay back down and pretend he's there again. I fall asleep.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I wake up and he's dabbing my head again. "How's it look, doc?" I tease.

"Better," he winks.

I get a thought. "Can uh... can I go see my sister? She's probably worried sick about me..."

He looks at me. "Do you feel emotion to her?"

I'm taken back by the question, but I nod. "In it's own way. It's a different kind than what I have with you."

He nods. "I didn't know what love was until I met you," he whispers.

"Why me?" I ask. "Out of all the girls you could've chosen, it was me. Why?"

He sighs. "I guess I knew you were going to ask this, and I just as well give the honest answer... my father chose for me. He said you just because it would seem charity. When I looked at the photo..." he laughs, "I knew that if he changed his mind, I'd hate him more." I find myself smiling. "And, if it makes you happy, I want you to see your sister. We can't bring her here. But, I can let you go if you take guards with you," he looks at me, eyes pleading.

I can't say no. I nod. He looks relieved. "Tomorrow," he says. I nod. I drift off to sleep again as he slides beside me after locking his door.