Chapter 3

Once they got out of the car they were blinded by the sunlight. Nick pulled his sunglasses out of the inside pocket of his suit coat, and Jenny took hers out of her bag. The detective got out of his car and walked over towards him. "The bodies were found over there. Someone was stopping to let their dog go to the bathroom during a road trip. The first body was dug up by the dog. The rest were located after further examination of the lands." the detective said. Jenny took out the photos of the crime scene and she walked until she had the same view that was in the photo. It was not that much further than where they had parked the cars.

"It's a wide open space. So someone might have seen a car driving down. But then it is down in a ditch, so maybe not. It would have to be a reasonably dark colored car. Anything else would have been able to be seen from the road." Nick said, turning to look back at the cars.

"The terrain isn't that difficult. It is more grass than anything, so it wouldn't take a lot of effort to dump the bodies here. They were buried you said?" Jenny asked. The detective stepped forward, apparently eager to be as helpful as he could.

"Yes. But they were only buried a few feet deep." The detective said. "Must not have been very strong or they would have made more of an effort to bury the bodies deeper." Jenny smiled.

"That is a valid point. Yes." Jenny said. She looked back at the glossy photograph in her hands. Nick moved closer and looked over her shoulder at it.

"If the bodies were buried rather than just dumped someone really didn't want the bodies to be found." Nick said. "It seems like a lot of trouble to go to dispose of a body. But surely it would have been smarter to no bury the bodies in the same place. It is like the detective said. One was found by a dog and the rest were found shortly after."

"It's just over confidence. Once the unsub buried the first body here and managed to not get caught, it probably instilled the idea that this place could be used as a dumping ground and it would be perfectly safe. It wouldn't have occurred to the unsub what would happen in the bodies were ever found. This was the work of someone who is organized in the method of killing but there is something lacking. They hid the bodies but it wasn't very well." Jenny explained. Nick nodded. As he did he noticed that there was a good deal a litter all around them.

"Look at this." Nick said, kneeling down to get a closer survey of the littered ground. "See how there is a greater number of litter here. From the road it probably looks like a rubbish dump. People driving by dispose of their rubbish as they are driving along. It goes down into the ditch so no one ever sees. It could be a symbolic was of the unsub telling us what he thinks of the victims. They are rubbish, so they are dumped where the rubbish goes." Nick theorized. Jenny crouched down beside him. She was impressed the way he was able to infer things from the crime scene with such ease. It was a talent that only a few possessed. "But they weren't dumped like rubbish. The unsub took the time to bury them in a shallow grave. Paranoia?"

Jenny nodded. "Yes that does seem like the most logical explanation. The unsub wanted to dump them there to show that 'he' has the belief that they are rubbish, but has the rationality to bury the bodies so that it reduces the risk of being caught. That is highly sophisticated." Jenny said. She rose to her feet again, Nick followed suit.

"The unsub would have had to bring the tools ready to bury the bodies. Now presumably the unsub has a mode a transportation, most likely a car. It would have to be one that would be able to fit a body. Now most cars have the spacial capacity to stuff a body in the boot. However if the unsub had to have digging tools as well 'he' must own a fairly large car so that 'he' would be able to put the tools somewhere that they are not going to attract a lot of attention." Nick said. Jenny agreed with him completely.

"I don't know how much more we will learn from the crime scene. It is probably time that we should start talking with the families." Jenny said. As she spoke of the families she look towards the detective who understood and immediately dialed his phone. They all made their way back to the cars at the town of the little tip. Nick allowed her to go first and he stayed close behind her. He was ready to catch her if she started to fall. She could feel his close presense. She felt safe knowing that he was there, like a small sense of relief. The detective stood by his car for a few moments talking on the phone, mainly saying 'yes sir' and 'that's right sir.' Then finally his flipped his phone closed and turned to address them.

"I spoke to Detective Smith and he is going to contact all of the families that we have been able to locate and ask them to come down to the station. They should be arriving within the hour." the detective said.

"Very good." Nick said. "Back to the station it is." The detective gave him a curt nod before climbing back into his car. Nick and Jenny did the same. They were silent for the ride home. Neither of them knew what to say. There was a certain said of sadness that lingered at a crime scene or dump site. It sometimes had the ability to affect people. Both of their minds were racing. Going through all the possible scenarios for how the unsub would have been able to transport the victims with drawing attention to themselves as well as all the equiptment that would be needed to bury the bodies. Again it didn't take them long to get from the dump site to the station. Jenny looked down at her watch, she had been timing it, a way of getting her bearings. It had taken them 15 minutes. Not that long, and not a a great distance to cover.