Chapter 55~!

RECAP:

"Please go on a date with me!"

"Uuuh... Hey, James, wassup?"

-------------------------------

The younger's head shot up and he stared, a horribly afraid look in his eyes. There stood his Uncle Alfred, looking like he was going to work. A hamburger was in his hand, a bite taken out of it and stowed away in the side of his cheek so it bulged like a chipmunk.

"Hope ya know I don't swing that way, and that I'm married," Alfred chuckled after swallowing. "But good for you for coming outta the closet, brah!"

"N-No, no!" James denied quickly as he stood up and hid the flowers behind his back. "That was meant for your daughter, I swear!"

The bespectacled hero's expression changed then, going from amused and laughing to slightly curious. "Nekochi? You were gonna ask her on a date?"

"Yeah."

Suddenly his stomach plummeted as he realized that he might have just angered papa bear.

Which, you know, he totally did.

"Is that so~?" America said in an almost sing-songy voice as a dark blue-ish-black aura filled the air around him. It sparked with electricity and rage, and James squeaked in fright. He was gonna die, he was gonna die right there on the front porch and no one was gonna rescue him!

But Alfred's anger was gone in an instant, and he clapped James (who was technically like his grandson) on the shoulder in a friendly gesture. "Hahaha! Nah, bro! I wouldn't kill ya, I'm the hero!"

His gaze lowered until he was looking (read: glaring) at James over the rim of his Texas. "But I'm warnin' ya. You'd better think long and hard before you decide to mess with the hero's family. Got it?"

"Got it," James replied weakly, fighting the urge to stammer. "Yes, sir."

Alfred F. Jones smiled brightly and walked past him, heading to his car. The vehicle's beeping as it unlocked made James jump a little. He was still in shock, just a little bit.

Rayn appeared in the doorway, smirking at the terror-stricken boy standing there with a loose grip on his bouquet of orchids. "Hi, James. Are you looking for Nekochi?"

He nodded mutely, his eyes not focused on her or anything particular at the moment.

"She's still getting ready, you should probably just go home for now."

But he just stood there dumbly.

"James!" Rayn shouted. No dice. "JAMES!"

"AH!" James screamed, launching almost a foot in the air before darting around in search of what had startled him so badly. "What, what?"

"James, just go home," Rayn said sternly, pointing down the road. "Come back later, though, okay?" Her attitude was suddenly very peppy and excited. "Yeah, I have a job for you to do tomorrow! Come over around ten since it's a Saturday and all that, m'kay? Thanks!" She slammed the door kin his face before he could even have the chance to back out.

Shrugging, and completely recovered from his initial shock, he strolled down the steps and started for home.

~~

Nekochi's POV~

For once, James didn't come around to bother me.

IT WAS WONDERFUL!

I actually got to focus on my work and drawings without worrying if he would be breathing down my neck the next second! Lately, that hadn't happened and it was stressing me out to no end. I mean, jeez! He's like my cousin, or nephew, or whatever you want to call it!