Chapter 9

Goldenpaw was surprised at her own mentor's words. The clearing was silent,and the leaders looked more than shocked.

       "And how are we supposed to create the group?"Fernstar demanded.

       "We will just have to take cats from our own Clans,or invite rogues to join us."Shadeheart answered. The WindClan leader,however,stood her ground with eyes clearly shining with mistrust.

      "I think it is an excellent idea,"Oakstar spoke up. Fernstar looked at him and opened her mouth in protest,but was cut off."All the Twolegs have black pelts,don't they?We can attack them if they attack us."

      "But how?These Twolegs are merciless!"Fernstar protested,her fur raising on her spine.

       "Then we will just have to be merciless ourselves."Shadeheart meowed. Goldenpaw blinked.

      The apprentice's gaze travelled around the leaders. She was the most surprised at Cloudstar. Her own leader was narrowing his eyes as if in thought. The tips of Cloudstar's claws began to show.

       Is it because he thinks....Goldenpaw shook her pelt,shaking that thought off. She listened again,and this time Amberstar meowed.

        "I have doubts in this. But I have to admit that it is a.....considered choice for me."Amberstar shuffled his paws and stole a glance at his ShadowClan.

     Skycloud shifted beside Goldenpaw uneasily. "Shadeheart should stop. Cloudstar is..."The warrior fell silent at her own words and moved her gaze to the leaders.

      "We'll think about it,right?"Cloudstar suddenly meowed. His gaze searched the leaders,finally settling on Shadeheart. Goldenpaw caught a warning in the RiverClan leader's gaze. Shadeheart seemed to stiffen but dipped his head. He leapt down the Great Rock and settled beside the deputies.

     The three other leaders nodded at Cloudstar's question. Another short moment of silence followed.

      "We shall dismiss the Gathering,"Oakstar announced."ShadowClan will need to heal."

      Amberstar dipped his head gratefully towards the ThunderClan leader. Letting our a sigh,Goldenpaw turned to her friend.

       "I'm going to talk to Shadeheart while I still have time."Skycloud informed,her gaze shining with concern.

      Goldenpaw tilted her head slightly as she watched the warrior bound towards the RiverClan deputy. Her attention now turned to the cats who swarmed her. The Gathering was over,yet the Clans have not been dismissed.

     "Hi!"Goldenpaw jumped at a sudden voice. She whirled around,to see a smoky-gray tom staring at her.

      "I'm Stormpaw!"The tom introduced cheerfully,despite the uneasiness still hanging in the air."I've never seen you around before."

       "Oh,I joined RiverClan. I was a rogue back then."Goldenpaw answered. She couldn't believe that she was giving away so much.

       "I am from ThunderClan. My assessment will probably be tomorrow,so I'll be a warrior the next Gathering."Stormpaw puffed out his chest.

        Goldenpaw giggled."Yeah. Maybe me too."She meowed cheekily.

       "What would my warrior name be?Maybe Stormsky?Ooh,a Stormclaw wouldn't hurt!And what about yours?Goldenpelt?Goldenlight?Because your pelt is shining in the moonlight."Stormpaw purred.

     Goldenpaw rolled her eyes."Okay,okay,you can shut up now. Your voice can be heard all the way up from the Great Rock!"She teased.

      Stormpaw looked sheepish,and was about to answer when Shadeheart padded towards the pair.

      "Goldenpaw!RiverClan is going back to camp,"Shadeheart informed sternly."haven't you heard Cloudstar's call?"

        Goldenpaw nodded quickly. "Bye,Stormpaw!"She turned around and bounded to the group of gathering RiverClan cats. She took one glance back and saw Shadeheart narrowing his eyes at Stormpaw before padding towards the RiverClan cats.

     Does Shadeheart think I am not to be trusted?Goldenpaw wondered.

Woooooooooo 600+ words!