Part 20: I think I have a plan

Twenty: I think I have a plan

Gobber stumbled out into the yard as soon as the Berserkers had gone, dragging the improbable shape of Leo with them. The old blacksmith was looking around wildly, blue eyes scanning the shadowy space until he caught sight of the little workshop with warm lamplight spilling into the cold yard. He could hear the bantering voices of the twins as he threw the door open and stopped: both of them were playing poker using dragon scales as chips...mostly...

"I raise you half of Belch!"

"Fine. I raise you ALL of Barf!"

"C'mon-I already own all of him twice already..."

"Three times lucky...?"

"Okay..."

"Leo's in trouble!" Gobber panted, unable to wait for them to finish their hand...which looked like it could last some time. Both heads snapped up and four grey-blue eyes narrowed in surprise and immediately concern. The twins leapt to their feet, the game forgotten.

"What happened?" Tuff asked grimly.

"Dagur has him," Gobber explained breathlessly. "He caught him in the saloon..."

"What was he doing there?" Ruff asked him directly.

"Warning me about Alvin," Gobber admitted. "His half-brother is on the way..."

"Well...duh!" Tuff scoffed. "Why do you think we've been making coffins like crazy?" Gobber gaped at them then blinked.

"Why didn't ye warn me he was still alive?" Gobber asked them grumpily.

"He asked us not to," Ruff said more softly. "I-I think he was ashamed at how he looks..."

"Which is stupid because he looks awesome!" Tuff added. Gobber blinked.

"Dagur has him because he thinks he knows where Ryder is," Gobber told them, trying to engender a sense of urgency.

"And he does," Ruff mused, her eyes thoughtful. "But he won't talk, will he?"

"He's a stubborn bastard," Gobber confirmed. "They'll have to kill him first..." Ruff and Tuff grabbed his hands and hauled him to the stable where a bluish white glow was spilling from under the doors. Gobber gaped as they flung the doors open and the glowing dragon looked up at them. "Starlight?"

"Yeah-we hid him in the stable coz he glows and that's a bit of a giveaway," Tuff explained, petting the Flightmare cheerfully. "Howya goin', Star?" Ruff hunkered down by the dragon and rubbed his nose thoughtfully.

"Leo's in trouble and needs Ryder," she murmured. "Can you take Gobber to him?" The Flightmare crooned and looked a little confused.

"Star-go see Toothless, okay?" Tuff suggested and the Flightmare gave a whirr of recognition. "Up you go, old man!" he added, winking at Gobber.

"What?" Gobber spat. "Can't you...?"

"Hey-I don't go anywhere without Butt-elf!" he replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Likewise Mutton-head!" Ruff added. Then she handed him a saddle-bag. "There are a few things in here he may need when he comes back!"

"Er...lassie-he canna come back..." Gobber protested as they shoved him onto the Flightmare, He fastened the saddle bag in place as Ruff grinned.

"Of course not-but he will anyway," Ruff told him happily. "Now go!" She slapped Starlight's rump and the dragon scampered out into the yard, took two bounces and flapped into the air, Gobber waving a shouting that he had changed his mind. The luminous dragon kept low as it zipped out of town and headed out into the canyons, flapping furiously for the mine...