Chapter Eleven

Guilt gnawed at my insides the entire evening. I felt horrible at having to lie to Sage and Marley. But what else could I do? There was no way I could come clean and tell them that my hair—and eyes—glowed blue in the moonlight. That was just crazy. They wouldn't believe it—and even if they did, they would probably think I was some sort of freak of nature.

I shuddered and huddled deeper into my sleeping bag. I hadn't slept a wink all night, whereas Marley and Sage had fallen asleep around two in the morning. There were sure to be dark circles under my eyes.

I glanced up at the wall clock. It was nine in the morning, and Dad was noisily moving around downstairs. I suddenly remembered that we were supposed to drive to Newland today. My heart leaped in my chest, and I eagerly shimmied out of my sleeping bag. Kimmie and I texted every single day and called each other at least three times a week, but that still couldn't heal the aching hole in my heart. I needed to see her in person, just like I used to see her every day at Newland High.

When my gaze drifted over to the window, I frowned. I felt Marley stir from where she was sleeping just inches away from my feet, so I didn't move a muscle. But my mouth dropped open of its own accord. What in the world...?

White. The yard, the sky, everything, was completely white. It wasn't snow. The worst weather Shady Cove received was a thunderstorm, hail, and a little frost. No, the culprit was fog—an extremely thick blanket of fog that had decided to settle over the town last night.

I crawled out of my sleeping bag as silently as possible, cautiously stepping over Sage and Marley's sleeping bodies to reach the window. The pane was cold to the touch—ice cold. As far as the eye could see, the house was shrouded in white. I could barely even make out the ground below. There was no way Dad—or anyone, for that matter—could drive in this thick cloud.

I grumbled my way into the kitchen, where I poured myself a glass of water (along with a pinch of salt) to soothe my scratchy throat. Dad shuffled into the kitchen a few moments later, just as I drained the last drops of my drink. "Good morning!" he said brightly.

"What's so good about it?" I muttered, gesturing to the window. "Just look at all that fog."

"There's no need to be upset," he reasoned. "We can wait a few hours and see if it clears. The fog should blow away by noon at the latest."

"I hope so." I stood up and rinsed out my glass before placing it in the dishwasher. "Oh, and if Sage and Marley ask, I put glow-in-the-dark dye on my hair."

Dad's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What?"

"They saw my hair glow last night," I admitted. "I had to give them some sort of excuse."

He ran a hand through his hair. "Oh, Rayne..."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry."

"Are they awake?"

"Not yet."

"Did you even get any sleep last night?" Dad folded his arms across his chest.

"Not really. But Sage and Marley slept like logs."

"Well, once they're up and they've eaten breakfast, let's see how the fog looks. I suggest you take a long nap if we can't make it to Kimmie's today." The corners of his lips turned up into a smile. "Those bags under your eyes make you look like a raccoon."