Chapter 14

The first week of classes flew by, and before Hermione knew it, she was walking alongside Ginny, heading down to the dungeons for their final class of the week.

"I can't believe how much homework Flitwick assigned us yesterday," Ginny complained as they walked, their footsteps echoing through the cold and empty corridor. "I started it last night and haven't even come close to finishing. You'd think he'd go easy on us, at least for the first few classes."

"It isn't so bad," Hermione reasoned, biting her lower lip as they rounded a corner. "He's doing it for our benefit — most wizarding careers involve charmwork and require a N.E.W.T. in Charms."

"But is a three foot essay on the origin of charmwork really necessary?" Ginny argued with an eye roll, just as the Potions classroom came into view. Professor Slughorn was standing at the door, greeting the arriving students.

The second his eyes landed on Hermione, he broke into a bright grin, clapping his hands together excitedly. "Miss Granger!" he squealed, leaving his post at the door to come talk to Hermione. "It's wonderful to see you! I trust you've heard about my invitations to the Slug Club? I sent them out just this morning."

A clearly frazzled Hermione glanced at Ginny, who was stifling a laugh, before returning her gaze to Professor Slughorn. "I actually have not received your invitation, sir," she said, adjusting the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "I'm not sure I'll have time for the club this year, though. With my Head Girl duties and all. But I'm flattered, thank you."

Looking briefly disappointed, Slughorn nodded vigorously, and brushed it off, his smile returning. "I completely understand. Well, I hope you're ready for class today, we'll be jumping right into the curriculum," he told her, nudging her toward the door.

Once inside, Ginny burst into laughter, and Hermione's cheeks flushed, as she grew more and more flustered. "It looks like someone has a favorite student," she said offhandedly, taking a seat in the front of the room, knowing that's where Hermione liked to sit. "You should have seen your face. Priceless."

"Oh hush up," Hermione mumbled, slowly sitting down as she set her bag down on the floor beside her stool. "That was so embarrassing. He barely even acknowledged your presence."

"Or existence," Ginny added with a snort, dropping her bag. "I think I found your number one fan. Maybe you should offer to autograph his cauldron. I think he'd pass out."

Hermione bristled, and ignored Ginny's teasing as she busied herself with pulling out her supplies, tidying up her space as she placed her ink bed next to her quill, smoothing out a fresh piece of parchment in the center of her half of the desk. She dragged her cauldron closer to her and peered inside, wrinkling her nose at the stench wafting up from it.

Ginny watched with amusement, before turning to the door, watching as the last of the students entered the classroom, some of them looking incredibly similar to Hermione — cheeks red and their friends laughing at them as they sat down. Ginny shook her head knowingly, and faced the front of the room as Slughorn closed the door and scurried over to the front of his desk.

"Good afternoon, students," he said jubilantly, looking about the room.

"Good afternoon, Professor," the class chorused, although many of them (mostly the Slytherins) ignored Slughorn completely.