Chapter 11

I was walking out of school ready to leave for lunch. I am consumed with thoughts of my dad. His birthday is in a few days, and it kills me he isn't here to live another year.

"Chloe!" I heard James yell snapping me out of my thoughts. I quickly turn around trying to find him.

"Why you yelling boy?" I ask once my eyes finally land on his oh so intoxicating ones.

"Lose the tude dude." he says with a soft chuckle.

"Whatever." I say beginning to walk away towards the field not feeling as good as this morning.

"Aww why you so grumpy sweetie?" he asks as he catches up to me.

"I'm not J." I say even though he is kind of right.

"See I know you lying Ms. Missy." he says making me laugh a little.

"Are we getting lunch or what J?" I ask avoiding eye contact.

"Come here Chloe." he says softly as he stops walking.

We weren't that far away from each, but we had an okay amount of distance.

"What?" I ask a bit puzzled by what he said.

"You heard me girl." he says like he was a mom talking to her child before they got their ass beat.

"Okay." I say as I stand right in front of him.

"What's wrong with you princess?" he asks looking at me with pleading eyes.

I don't say anything because I know if I do I probably will start crying. Even though it's been almost a two years since he's been gone it still hurts.

"Chloe please." he pleads lifting my chin up with his hand.

"Can we just go James please?" I ask him with my voice trembling a little.

"Okay." he says with hesitation. I guess he could sense my discomfort with being here.

I knew if I so much have cried on school grounds I would been talked about even more than usual. I didn't want the attention, so I just began walking to where he parked this morning.

He quickly came over to the passenger side, and opened my door.

"I know it's something, but I'll wait until you're ready to talk about it." he says starting the engine, and putting it in reverse.

"Can we go to that place we bumped into each other not so long ago?" I ask him hoping he'll just say yes.

"Sure." he says not taking his eyes off the road. 

"What's weighing so heavily on that big brain of yours?" I ask trying to lighten the mood at least a little.

"You." he says simply.

"What about me?" I ask curiously.

"You really want to know?" he asks stopping at a red light taking a quick look at me.

"Um yes that's why I asked Mr. Smart Ass." I say in a playful tone making him smile a little.

"I was just thinking how we've only known each for almost a month, yet I feel like it's been longer.

"Well I guess we feel the same about that." I say with a smile.

"Chloe, you're the only person that I honestly can have a real conversation with.

"J, how much do you think you know me?" I ask seriously thinking about it.

"Honestly I don't think I know a lot, but that can always change I'm open to discuss that with you." he says almost reassuring me.