Prologue: We Made a Mistake

Leeanna's POV

Alchemy. The science of deconstructing and reconstructing matter. However, it is not an all powerful art. It is impossible to create something out of nothing. If one wishes to obtain something, something of equal value must be given. This is the Law of Equivalent Exchange, the basis of all alchemy. In accordance to this law, there is a taboo among alchemists. Human transmutation is strictly forbidden, for what could equal the value of a human soul? If only we understood back then... but we were too naïve.

Flashback

(Ed and Lee age 7 - Al age 6)

Childhood was great. The country breeze on my face as I played with my brothers and best friend, Winry while Mom watched us while hanging laundry, that same warm smile on her face. Life was perfect. We didn't need Dad, he abandoned us years ago, only his office left any recognition that he lived their. My brothers and I studied alchemy out of those books and it made Mom so pleased. I loved to make her smile, it was all I ever wanted. We were happy, that is until the epidemic came and took her from us. Father still never came back for us, not that I expected him too. Granny Paniko took care of us like her own grandchildren, even if her and Ed butt heads now and then. We trained for four years with a teacher and studied the art of alchemy. We wanted to see mother smile again. We knew Human Transmutation was wrong but the naïve children we were, we thought we could find the answer or there were no consequences.

We made a mistake

(Ed and Lee age 11 - Al age 10)

"Water (35 L), Carbon (20 kg), Ammonia (4 L), Lime (1.5 kg), Phosphorous (800 g), Salt (250 g), Saltpetre (100 g), Sulphur (80 g), Fluorine (7.5 g), Iron (5 g), Silicon (3 g)." Ed read off the ingredients as we checked everything was in place. "Right, now the constructional formula." We completed the circle and my nerves began to act up. Something didn't feel right about this. "And finally, we need some soul data." He cut his finger first before handing the knife to me. "Are you sure we should be doing this?" I asked, getting a bit worried. "C'mon Lee. We cant back out now, we have already gotten this far and besides, don't you want Mom to smile again?" With his words, I put my second thoughts to the back of my mind. "You're right, it can't be that bad." I Pricked my finger and the three of us held our finger over the circle as our blood hit the floor. We sat at the side of the circle. "This is it Al, Lee." We placed our hands on the circle and blue sparks appeared. It was working. Key word: Was. It began to give off a purplish glow and smoke was rising from the rim. "Ed, Lee, Something doesn't feel right." Alphonse's voice full of worry and my fear came back. Tentacle-like hand things began to grow and an eyeball grew from the centre. Then everything went horribly wrong. Al's hand broke off as the hands touched him. "AL!" Ed and I yelled in unison. "NAAAA!" Ed yelped as his leg was ripped from his body. Then I felt a burning pain in my legs which caused me to fall on my stomach. "AAAAAHH!" I screamed I agony as I realised both my legs were gone. "Brother, sister, help. Ed, Lee!!!" We reached out for him but I couldn't reach. All I could do was watch in horror as our little brother was dismembered before our eyes. "AAAAAAAL!" and that's all I remember before everything went white and I stood in front of a door.

"Ed? Al? What was I just-? Where is-?" "Hello" I jumped as I spotted the white figure before me. "Um... Hi there. Who are you?" I asked politely. I didn't want to offend him, or at least, I think it was a 'he'. "Oh, I'm so glad you asked. I am called by many names. I'm the world, I'm the universe, I'm god, I'm truth, I am all, I am one, and I am also you." This guy was weirding me out which strangely I wasn't already even though I am in a white space with a large door, nothing in sight except a strange person all in white with a black aura around him. The door opened behind me and I turned. "You dare to knock on the door, now the door is open." I came Eye to eye (literally) with an eyeball. It was like something from a nightmare. Hands came out to drag me inside, I tried to resist but it was useless. "No need to fuss child, I shall show you the truth." The doors closed and I was falling to who knows where. All I could see were images; life, death, passed, future. All the knowledge of the world was poured into my mind, it was too much to comprehend. "Please, stop! It hurts, please! Make it stop!" The further I went, I began to deteriorate. "No please, Make it stop!  MAKE IT STOP!" For a moment, it became clear, the truth of everything. A woman's silhouette reached out a hand and I did too. "Help, Mom, please!" Then I was back in front of the door.