Chapter 1: Did You Come For Me Too?

As John and Mary are asleep in their bed, John's hand starts to twitch as he dreams of the time he was in Afghanistan and he hears gunfire and explosions and sees his comrades fall and grimace in pain around him. He shakes his head in his sleep and then he dreams the first time he met you and Sherlock.

Suddenly he hears a pounding sound nearby and John jolts and sits up in his bed. He wakes up and throws back the covers and puts on a dressing gown. He goes to the front door and sees a woman standing there looking back at him, with tears in her eyes. "I know it's early. Really I'm sorry." She said to him, tearfully. John stares blankly at her until he hears Mary walking up behind him.

"Is that Kate?" Mary asked.

"Y-yeah, it's Kate." John said.

"Invite her in?" Mary asked him.

"Er, sorry, yes. D-d'you wanna come in, Kate?" John asked as he steps aside for Kate as she walks towards Mary and starts to cry.

Later, Mary and Kate are sitting on the sofa and Mary is stroking Kate's arm while she continues to cry. "It's alright." Mary said, calmly. "It's Isaac." Kate said to John. "Ah, your husband." John said. "Son." Mary replied. "Son, yeah." John said.

"He's gone missing again. Didn't come home last night." Kate said.

Mary lets out a sympathetic sigh and turns to John. "The usual." She said. "He's the drugs one, yeah?" John asked and Kate breaks down crying as he paces back and forth. "Er, yeah, nicely put, John." Mary said.

"Look it's Sherlock Holmes and (y/n) (l/n) you want. Because I've not seen them in ages." John said.

"About a month." Mary said.

"Who's Sherlock Holmes and (y/n) (l/n)?" Kate asked, looking over at John.

"See? That does happen." Mary said to him.

"There's a place they all for to, him and his....friends. They all...do whatever they do....shoot up, whatever you call it." Kate said.

"Where is he?" John asked her.

"It's a house. It's a dump. I mean, it's practically falling down." Kate said.

"No, the address. Where, exactly?" John asked her.

Shortly afterwards, John is dressed and walks down the path outside his house and heads towards their car parked at the curb. Mary, still in her pajamas and dressing gown, follows him. "Seriously?" She asked him. "Why not? She's not going to the police. Someone's got to get him." John said. "Why you?" Mary asked as she stops at the gate.

"I'm being neighborly." John replied.

"Since when?" asked Mary and John chuckles at this.

"Since now. Since this exact minute." He said.

"Why are you being so....?" Mary asked as she twirls her hands, expressively. "What?" John asked as he stops at the driver's door. "I dunno. What's the matter with you?" Mary asked him, with concern.

"There is nothing the matter with me!" John said loudly then quickly said. "Imagine I said that without shouting."

 "I'm trying." Mary said and she walks towards the passenger side of the car.

"No, you can't come. You're pregnant." John said.

"You can't go. I'm pregnant." She said as she gets in the car and shuts the door. John looks away for a moment, then gets in.

Later on, they parked on a piece of concrete waste ground outside the address Kategave them. John opens the trunk of the car and takes out a tire lever, then walks around the passenger side. Mary laughs and points at the lever as he tucks it in his pants. "What is that?!?!" She asked. "It's a tire lever." John replied.