Chapter 8: I'm Not a Hero, I'm a High Functioning Sociopath

FLASHBLACK

You and Sherlock were sitting at a table in a small restaurant. Sherlock, who was wearing his hospital gown, was finishing up his last mouthful of penne pasta and you just finished your salad when you two heard Magnussen's voice ask. "Shouldn't you be in hospital?"

"I am in hospital. This is the canteen." Sherlock replied without looking up at Magnussen.

"Is it?" He asked.

"In his opinion, yes." You replied as you take a sip of water.

"Have a seat." Sherlock said, gesturing to the seat across from him with his fork.

"Thank you." Magnussen said and he walks over to your table and takes the seat.

"I've been thinking about you." Sherlock said to him. "I've been thinking about you." Magnussen said. "Really?" Sherlock asked. Magnussen looks between you and Sherlock and said. "Both of you, actually."

Sherlock reaches across to the morphine control, that he brought with him, and pushes the button three times. "We want to see Appledore, where you keep all the secrets, all the files, everything you've got on everyone. We want you to invite us." Sherlock said and the two men lock eyes as you shift your eyes between them.

"What makes you think I'd be so careless?" Magnussen asked him.

"Oh, I think you're a lot more careless than you let on." Sherlock said, softly.

"Am I?" Magnussen asked as he leans forward.

Sherlock leans forward too and smiles at Magnussen. "It's the dead eye stare that gives it away. Except it's not dead eyed, is it?" Sherlock asked and reaches forward to Magnussen's face and takes hold of his glasses. He winces and sucks in a sharp breath as he does this and you whisper. "Careful Sherlock."

Sherlock takes Magnussen's glasses off and Magnussen's eyes flicker towards the glasses then he returns his gaze to Sherlock . "You're reading." Sherlock said as he draws the glasses towards himself and looks down at them. "Portable Appledore. How does it work? Built in flash drive? 4G wireless?" He asked and then places them on his face and raises his head as he looks throught the lenses.

After a moment he frowns, turning his head a little and then lowers it and takes the glasses off. You frown at him and he looks over at you and said. "They're just ordinary spectacles." You look at him confused until Magnussen speaks up. "Yes--they are." He said as he looks at Sherlock then over at you as Sherlock grimaces slightly.

Magnussen lowers his head and smiles a then reaches out across with one hand and flicks through the pasta on Sherlock's plate with his finger and picks up a black olive. "You two underestimate me." He said as Sherlock sinks back in his seat and you stare into space in disbelief. Magnussen eats the olive then licks his thumb and forefinger before reaching across to the glass of water by Sherlock's and dabbled them in it. With his other hand, he reaches across the table and takes his glasses from Sherlock, then shakes his wet fingers at you and Sherlock.

"Impress us, then. Shows Appledore." You said, softly.

"Everything's available for a price." Magnussen said. Sherlock lifts his eyes at him as Magnussen asked. "Are you making me an offer?"

"A Christmas present." Sherlock said.

"And what are you two going to give me for Christmas, Mr Holmes and Miss (L/N)?" Magnussen asked.

"My brother." Sherlock replied, smiling at him

PRESENT DAY

​​​​​​​"Oh, Jesus." John said, softly, and walks away from you two. "Sherlock....(y/n)....please tell me you two haven't just gone out of your minds." John said as Sherlock puts on his gloves and takes the laptop. "I'd rather keep you guessing." Sherlock said and you nod in agreement.