10. A Man of a Thousand Pieces

"Joseph Redding!" he beamed, and clapped his hand against my back

"Joseph Redding!" he beamed, and clapped his hand against my back. "Good God! I scarce recognised you, you wicked boy! What are you doing here without a drink? It will never do." He swiped a glass of wine from a passing tray. "Here, here. A crisp white French. Don't be so shy; I've another ten dozen bottles in the cellar. Drink, dear lad. You must try it!"

I thanked him and sipped. "Vallée de la Loire? You have excellent taste, sir."

"Ah, clever boy! Clever boy." He patted his palm against my sleeve and I grew somewhat tipsy just by the smell of him. "Pardon my surprise, Joseph. There is nothing unexpected about an auctioneer who knows his vintage."

"For antiques, you are quite correct. For wine ... I should rather call it beginner's luck."

"My lad, you do amuse me. But indeed, as you say, green apple and a hint of lime from the vallée. One knows a thing or two when one has tasted every fine wine Europe offers. Now, I'm sure you remember the Lady Tolliver from Lord Tolliver's supper in July."

The pale woman dressed in a pallet of golds and greens waved my way, but I am ashamed to say that I remembered her only for the frightful manner in which she ate. "This here is Kathlene Siler, Marlyn Puliam and her husband, Sir Oscar Puliam – once tailor to His Majesty the King of Denmark in his day, to state but one of his many accolades. Sat beside the lovely Kathlene is my longest-enduring friend and personal physician, Maurice K. Mercier – perhaps you already know of him – and ..."

De Veyra took the liberty of introducing me to every one of his immediate gathering, none of whose names I would remember anyway. It is one of my poorer traits. Regardless of this redundant formality, I tipped my head to each of them in turn, presenting my well-rehearsed smile in abundance. I'd been told Redding had always worn his smile well, making a comely young man out of a rather plain face.

None of it mattered. I was there for only one thing, and repeatedly nodding at Glasten's highbrows and agreeing with de Veyra's choice of food and beverage was far from it. I longed to find the one woman with whom I could spill my darkest fears, my bitterness and adversities, and whom I had unwittingly hurt so much she wished me not around.

"I must be frank with you, Joseph," de Veyra continued after a while, clumsily topping up my glass. "I was not expecting you here to-night. Nina insisted you are quite unwell with influenza, but on the contrary, my boy, I see you have never looked more dashing."

His comment genuinely entertained me and I chuckled. "It seems I'm somewhat more resilient than she takes me for. Why, the thought of being absent on her birthday had not crossed my mind, nor would she ever forgive me. I don't suppose you have seen her pass through here, have you?"

"Nina? Not in some time," he said, "but a good many other guests for me to introduce my future son-in-law to, why yes! Must you leave so soon? Come, you have not yet had your wine. And do tell everyone what it is you do for a living; I'm quite sure I could hear the curious tale of Varian Stone one more time."