Chapter 7

Harry patiently waited for Hermione in his favorite armchair by the fire. After about ten minutes of Harry staring at the fire, slowly burning away, Hermione emerged from her dormitory steps, her eyes were very red and puffy.

"Shall we go then?" She asked Harry, with a shaky voice.

"Yeah, let's go," Harry replied.

      Harry quickly grabbed his cloak from the trunk, they started towards the portrait hole. They walked through the portrait hole, towards Myrtle's bathroom. They both quietly hoped she wasn't in there. Myrtle's bathroom is the safest place to talk alone, at least when she isn't there. Under the cloak, Harry could hear Hermione sniffling. He felt bad for her, but was waiting to comfort her in the bathroom.

     Neither him nor Hermione talked the whole way, it was a very awkward walk. Although, a few times Mrs. Norris walked around them. Whenever that happened, though, both Harry and Hermione stopped dead in their tracks, and immediately stopped breathing.That didn't seem to work; as usual, it seemed as though Mrs. Norris could see them through the invisibility cloak.

     Harry and Hermione slowly made their way to the bathroom. They were a split second away of opening the door, when a door across the hallway swung open. Harry and Hermione both jumped and turned around. Ron and Lavender emerged from the room, both smiling and laughing. Harry heard someone scowl and he looked over to Hermione, she was silently crying. Harry patted her shoulder for support.

"Well," Hermione whispered, her voice cracking a bit. "Let's get going," She turned around and opened the door.

As the door slowly creaked open, Harry gasped as he found blood all over the floor. Hermione looked at him and she started to walk forward, the cloak slipping off of her. Harry stood there, waiting for her to tell him what happened. He heard her gasp, and she broke into sobs. Harry slowly walked over.

No, he thought. It can't be.

      Harry stood there, shocked. As he looked down at the limp, wet body of Draco Malfoy.

"He can't be dead," Harry muttered, numbly.

"We have to get a teacher!" Hermione exclaimed, and she quickly stormed out of the room. Harry supposed she was going to get Madam Pomfrey. Harry sat on the ground and searched for a breath, and he found one even if it was very small.                                                                             

After about fifteen minutes, Hermione was back with Madam Pomfrey.  Madam Pomfrey gasped and covered her mouth in horror, as she looked upon the scene in the bathroom.

"What happened?" She asked them, bending down to the ground next to Harry.

"Well," Hermione started to explain."Harry and I were coming back from the library after a night from studying and he told me he had left something in here. He was gone for a few minutes so i went to go check on him. I walked a little farther in and I saw Draco's body. Harry seemed a little shocked, so I went to you straight away."

"He's alive." Harry told her.

Madam Pomfrey sighed and told the two to go back to their dormitories. Again, they didn't talk to each other, but Harry could tell that her head was swarming with questions. She was too respectful and understanding of Harry at this moment, and knew he was vulnerable right now, so she didn't ask him any questions.                                          

      As they returned to the Gryffindor common room, Hermione hugged Harry. He was aware that she was crying and she was unaware that he was. They entered the common room to find Ron and Lavender snogging right in front of the fireplace, Harry watched as Hermione hurriedly made her way to the girls' dormitory. Harry made his way to his dormitory, where everyone was asleep.

     Harry wanted to sleep, but he couldn't. His head was full of thoughts, so he grabbed his journal out of his trunk and started to write. That morning, Harry avoided everyone's eyes, except for Hermione's, he didn't feel like conversing. Harry and Hermione started talking in whispers about what had happened the night before. To no surprise, Draco wasn't eating breakfast in the Great Hall that morning, he wasn't even in the Great Hall.

      Harry was hopefully looking around for Hedwig, he was awaiting a letter back from Lupin. He sent the letter a couple days ago. Hermione was no longer waiting for a letter back from Viktor, but she didn't tell anyone what it said. To Harry's disappointment, Hedwig never came. So, Harry just ate his breakfast, when a thought came to mind.

"Hey Hermione," Harry turned to her, a bunch of food stuffed in his mouth.

"Yeah?"

"You know who I've missed lately?"

"Who?" She asked, curiously.

"Hagrid," Harry smirked. Hermione smiled and they immediately ran out of the Great Hall. They could hear Filch yelling at them from behind, but they didn't care. They were laughing, having the most fun they've had in a while.

They were already at Hagrid's in a matter of seconds. Harry knocked on the door and heard a familiar dog barking at them. Harry had forgotten everything bad that had happened the past few days, and he looked at Hermione and she looked at him, they smiled as the door opened.