Chapter One

"What do you mean you're letting me go? I'm the best damn trainer you've got here." I yelled at the room full executives.

I knew there was something wrong the moment I walked in. Today was one of the rare days I got to wear something other than khakis so I opted for the ever so colorful under armour leggings. Horrible idea. I'm in a board room full of men in suits.

"Listen Drew, we hate doing this but we have to. I'm sorry." I rolled my eyes and stormed off. There was no way they would find anyone that would replace me.

Throwing all my stuff in a few boxes, I tried holding back the tears. I was going on my second year as the athletic trainer for the Blackhawks and I couldn't be happier. I got hired right out of college, Coach Quenneville thought I had great potential. Sure, I wasn't a huge fan of the city but I loved my boys.

Frankly, they loved me too.

"Hey Drew, I have something for you." One of the assistant coaches came into my office and dropped some papers on the soon-to-be empty desk.

"What are these?" I flipped through them, seeing the Pittsburgh Penguins logo at the top. I loved my uncle, but I didn't want to work for his team.

"I knew you would be getting.."

"Fired?"

"Let go is what I was thinking of. I had Quenneville put in some good words for you and sent in your resume. The job is yours. If you want it, that is."

"How did you get my resume?" I was a bit skeptical of this. There is no way Luke made this happen.

"Remember when I said I needed to use your computer because mine died?"

"Right." I took a few minutes before saying anything else. "Thanks Lucas, I really appreciate it."

He grabbed one of the boxes and helped me bring them to my car. "I'm going to miss the orange car."

"Don't mock the xterra. He's a trooper."

"Wanna go out once more before you leave?"

"Thanks, but no thanks. I need to go pack." I shut the back of my car.

"Are you sure you want to go? I'm sure you could find a job in town somewhere."

"Then why didn't you find me a job in Chicago?" He blank stare just confirmed my thought. "Exactly. I want to stay in the NHL. This sounds horrible but I like what I get paid. Bylsma is my uncle so I'd have a place to stay while I look for a decent apartment."

Luke's eyes got all big, as if he was surprised. "Why didn't you just go to work with him instead? And why did no one know about that?"

"I love my uncle and everything but I didn't want to work with him while I was starting out.. And Blackhawks have been my team since I started loving hockey and they gave me a better offer."

"Wait. I thought you played soccer first?" I just rolled my eyes. Patrick Kane walked out to my car and looked confused.

"Please tell me my best friend isn't leaving." He seemed out of breath. "Nice pants."

"Best friend with benefits..." Luke whispered. I just gave him a dirty look. "What? The whole team knows how Kane cheers you up.."

"Whatever. Luke got me a job with my uncle so I'm moving in with them next week."

"Wait. You're going to the Penguins?"

"How come he knew Bylsma was your uncle?" Luke looked upset. He was my closest friend on the coaching staff so I told him a lot.. Just not as much as I told Pat..