Wendigo

*Third Person*

Two tents are set up near a fire ring. Crickets chirp. Inside one tent, two young men, Brad and Gary, are playing head-to-head handheld video games.

"Dude, you're cheating." Brad says.

"No, you just suck." Gary counters.

Something growls outside. In the other tent, a third young man, Tom Collins, records a video message on his cell phone.

"Hey Haley, day six, we're still out near Blackwater Ridge." He says into the phone.

Something dark flicks behind the tent wall behind Tom, too fast to be identifiable as more than 'something dark'; the screen on Tom's phone, displaying the video as Tom records it, caught it.

"We're fine, keeping safe, so don't worry, okay? Talk to you tomorrow." He smiles.

Tom stops recording and sends the message.

Brad closes his game system and tosses it aside. Gary stares at his system for a moment, then turns to look at Brad, who is getting up and unzipping the tent.

"Hey, where ya goin'? My moment of victory." Gary asks.

"Nature calls."

Brad goes outside and zips up the tent behind him. He goes to stand against the tree to relieve himself. The fire crackles. Something snaps a stick. Brad looks towards the sound and sees the trees rustling. Brad shakes his head and returns his attention downward, then looks up sharply. Something growls.

Inside Tom's tent, Tom, who is reading Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces, hears Brad scream. Inside Gary's tent, Gary hears the same and rolls over.

"Brad?" He mumbles tiredly.

Tom sits up.

"Gary, what's goin' on?" He asks.

Gary opens the tent and sticks his head out to look around. He sees nothing. Growling. He looks up. Something pulls Gary out of the tent. He screams.

Tom turns out the lantern he had on. Shadows move very quickly around the outside of Tom's tent. Tom looks around, his eyes following the shadows and growling. Silence falls. Something slashes open Tom's tent. Tom screams.

***

*Emery*

Sam jerks awake, I glance at him. He is riding shotgun next to Dean, Foreigner's "Hot-Blooded" is playing over the radio as I hum along slightly.

Sam blinks and rubs his eyes. Dean looks over, concerned.

"You okay?" He asks.

Sam glances over and away.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sam responds.

Dean nods.

"Another nightmare?" Dean questions.

Sam clears his throat.

"You wanna drive for a while?" Dean offers.

Sam laughs.

"Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that." Sam points out.

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind." Dean says.