14: Breakdowns and Sirens

"Sirens, Josh."

Josh blinked, his head looking from the door to the window and then back to Tyler. Tyler was frozen, his eyes wide and staring Josh with worry. Eventually, his shaking became a little more prominent and his eyes began to dart around the room. A dead silence spread throughout the room, the faint sound of sirens just outside the window and on the bottom floor.

"Tyler," Josh spoke up after he could muster up the courage to speak something, "Tyler, it's okay."

Tyler was shaking harder by that point, and his back was flush against the back of the chair, his knuckles white as he gripped Josh's arm. Josh wrapped his arm around Tyler and helped him up slowly, arms maintaining their strong hold on his shoulders once he was standing. It felt as if Tyler was about to bolt any minute, or the opposite, and breakdown as soon as Josh let go. He felt like glass in his hands, and Josh decided it was better to keep his grip until Tyler was okay.

Eventually the sirens faded out, after hearing the boss of the company talking to one of the officers, but eventually the man left and the sirens continued down the road. Tyler was still shaking, however, so Josh did the only thing he could think of to do, he pulled Tyler against his chest. Tyler automatically wrapped his arms around Josh, squeezing air out of his lungs as he tried desperately to hide his face in his chest.

"Tyler, Tyler c'mon."

Josh had been rubbing Tyler's back in an effort to calm the boy, his breathing still shallow. After managing to sit Tyler down for a moment, Josh left the room to jog to his boss's office. Once there, he silently thanked his boss for being so kind on that particular day, as Josh had gotten permission to leave early after telling his boss that Tyler had just and a breakdown, and couldn't be left alone. He didn't say anything about leaving early, but apparently his boss could hear the concern in his voice and told him to go home.

Upon returning to the small office Josh had, he found Tyler was sitting on the desk, his eyes closed as his hand rested on his stomach. Josh walked over to him, worry still painting his features, and gently placed his hand on the small of his back while saying his name quietly. Tyler flinched, opened his eyes and stared at Josh for a moment before smiling at him, the gesture filled with exhaustion. Josh chuckled quietly, helped him up and wrapped his arm around his waist. Tyler didn't mind at all.

They made it home in good time, the apartment quiet and dim. Tyler went to sit on the couch automatically, pulling his knees up to his chest, while Josh turned the lights on a little higher before moving to put all of their stuff back in their places. He heard Tyler sniffle from his place on the couch, which caused yet another furrowed brow and concerned look. He made his way to the boy curled on the couch, who was now hiding his face in his knees.

"What was that for?" Josh said with a small grin.

"Nothing. Sorry."

"Tyler," Josh whined, "You can't sigh like that and then just decide not to tell me."

Tyler waved him off, his face still hidden behind his knees, even with Joshs occasional nudge.

"Tyler, cmon."

Tyler groaned. Josh sighed, getting up, "Okay, fine. I'll leave you be."

He left the room, and Tyler lifted his head up a bit, wiping his hand across his eyes to get rid of the stray tears that leaked from them.

"I'm sorry." 

--

shIT MAN I FINALLY GOT THIS UPLOADED

but yea heads up school has started so im pretty busy. ive kinda lost where i was going with this story but im gonna try. i promise. it might not work, but ill try.

stay rad.

xotati