Act II Scene VI

The results from the auditions had been posted. The cast of the Light in the Piazza had been put up, and the moment Christine had found herself with a spare moment in the morning she had rushed right over to look over the paper.

Up at the top of the list were the leads. That was always how it went. The first name on the list was the part of Margaret Johnson. None other than Bridget Hadley had been awarded the role. If anyone deserved it, it was her. Christine had wanted to spend more time with Bridget, and this was bound to be a way to get the two of them speaking again. She clapped her hands slightly, hoping that this "luck" of sorts would continue.

Of course, Christine wasn't too interested in the role of Margaret Johnson. Biting her lip, Christine looked further down the list. Sure enough the next role was Clara Johnson. That was meant to be Christine's role. She had wanted it more than anything.

But across from Clara Johnson was the name Caroline Gill.

Carly had gotten the part.

Carly had gotten Christine's part.

Christine gave a deep sigh. She wasn't going to let herself cry over losing the role, at least not yet. She had to make sure she say what she was going to be first. Christine dragged her finger down the list.

Fabrizio, the male lead, had gone to none other than Paul Chandler! Christine was very happy for him, but it made her even more upset about not getting Clara. Clara and Fabrizio were the two romantic leads. Christine couldn't deny that she felt something more than friendship for Paul, and now that he was at Garnier High School and they were dating it could blossom into something even more. From the way he acted around her, it seemed that he might very well return those deep feelings.

But now he would be kissing Carly, and, well, Christine had to face it, Carly was very attractive. Her personality was terrible, but sometimes a gorgeous face and body could make that all go away.

Still, she would have to text Paul about his triumph. He probably already knew that he was playing Fabrizio, but they could talk about it. That reminded Christine. She hadn't seen who she was going to be playing out in the musical. The most important part had slipped her mind. She could mope all she wanted about Carly getting the role she wanted later.

At the moment, she had to figure out what she was playing. Christine ran her finger further down the list. She saw a few more things that struck her as interesting. Ian, Carly's boyfriend, was playing Giuseppe Naccarelli. Giuseppe didn't have much romance with Clara, so the two of them wouldn't be too happy about that. Christine sighed and continued on, stopping a little more above halfway.

Franca Naccarelli was the name across from Christine Daae.

Franca. She was playing Franca. Franca wasn't a bad role, she got a solo and everything. But Franca was not the role of Clara. Christine shook her head. She could live with the role of Franca. But she could have thrived with Clara.

If only Carly hadn't been so full of herself and ready to crush anyone who got in her way on the journey to the never ending spotlight. Christine would have gotten the part, she knew it. Her name would have been at the top of the list instead of "Caroline Gill." Now Carly was playing a romantic role with her Paul, and Christine's character was married to Ian's. Everything was so messed up.

She bit her lip and looked down. Now that everything was done and set in stone, Christine was realizing just how big of a mistake it had been for her to not go to see the Angel of Music before auditions. There was a nagging thought in the back of her mind that if she had done as such she would have easily been able to snag the role of Clara.