I DO Know What Love Is

I'm fourteen, and you know what I hear a lot from friends and adults?
'You don't know what love is yet, you're too young.'
But I think - I know - that I know what love is. Love is when you make room for someone in your heart and you care for them as much as you care for anything else. You don't want to change them because you accept who they are. Love is the one feeling we are born with. Not happiness, anger, sadness; Love. When a baby hears another cry, it cries with it, because it feels love towards it.
But society has corrupted the idea of love. They say that love is in personal relationship, and that's it. Only when you're dating someone, can you feel love. But that isn't true at all. Love doesn't have to be personal. Love shouldn't be personal, but instead be spread in the world. When you walk into a room, you should love everyone there. Even if they hurt you, you should love them.
I know this guy, his name is Will. I'm not bothering changing his name because I have nothing bad to say about him. I loved him in sixth grade, but he didn't. He decided to stop talking to me and it broke my heart. But I picked up the pieces that were scattered across the floor and slowly, very slowly, I began to heal. And this year I'm gluing the last pieces of my heart together. Society has bent our minds to think that if someone completely breaks you, you have the right to hate them. But you don't, not in the slightest! He hurt me really bad but you know what? I still love him to this day! Because he's a human, and so am I; he has problems, and so do I.
We're all one in the same.
I hope that maybe this will encourage some of you. Encourage you to come together and change the world. No matter how young we are, we have a voice. When you have a voice, you can shout your opinion. No matter how young you are, you do know what love is. When you know what love is, you can change this world. We can use our voices to tell them this, tell society that we know what love is.
The reason the world is falling apart is because we're forgetting that love doesn't have to be personal. We're forgetting to love the strangers we see walking down the street. We're forgetting to love that one kid in class who has some disrespect. It may be difficult to love them, but we can't forget that. If we do forget that, guess what happens?
The world falls apart.

I do know what love is.
Truly,
Jenny Owens