How Could You?: Kalin

Cameryn's POV
This is your fifteen year old daughter.

I couldn't stop thinking about the dream I kept having. It was a dream about my mom. She was in a bedroom fighting with this guy and he was beating her badly. There was a baby in a crib not too far from the brawl. The baby was wailing and screaming. My mom managed to get away from the guy, grab the baby, and get out the house. The dream concluded there. I had no idea why I kept having this dream. I would have it every other night for about a month, stopping having it, then have it again for another month or so. I decided to bring this up to my mom.

"Mom?" I say walking downstairs.
"Yes?" she responds from the kitchen. I walk in there and she's making dinner.
"Can I talk to you about something?" I ask nervously.
"Yeah sure," she replies and stops what she's doing to sit down. "What's on your mind?"
"I've been having this dream," I begin,"about you and I've been having it a lot and it's really been disturbing me."
"What happened in this dream?" she asked now concern.
"You were fighting this guy in a bedroom and I have no idea who he is. There was a baby in a crib crying while you were fighting him. You got away from him and took the baby with you. I don't know why I keep having this dream and I wanted to talk it over with you."
She closes her eyes and sighs. She had that "concerned mom" look on her face when she opened her eyes.
"That wasn't a dream," she said.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I never thought this day would come," she mumbled to herself. She shifts nervously in her chair.
"That man that I was fighting with...was your dad," she sighs. "And that baby was you."
"Are you serious?" I asked. She nods slowly.
"Oh my gosh," I almost whispered. "I have to go."
"Wait Cameryn!" my mom calls out as I'm getting up to leave.
"I just need some air, Mom," I inform her. "I'll be right back. I promise."
"Okay," she responds. "Just...be careful."
I nod and exit the house.

•••
"That guy was your dad?!" my friend Shannon asked in shock.
"Yeah," I respond as-a-matter-of-factly.
"That's crazy!" she exclaims.
"I know and I've been having this dream for months," I explain pacing back and forth in her room.
"This is completely insane! This man is dangerous."
"I don't even the whole story and he's bad news. How could he?"
"Your mom got away. That's all that matters."
"Yeah."
But for how long?

Your POV
My baby, I thought to myself. I never told Camryn about her father and I didn't want her to know the kind of monster he was.
Guess she had to find out sooner or later. Might as well have her know now.
The doorbell rings breaking me from my thoughts.
Can't be Cam. Who's here?
I open the door and Camryn's dad was standing right there...
"Hey babe," Kalin says to me.
"You will not call me babe and how dare you come to my house like this?!" I snap waving the knife was using the make dinner.
"I wanna see my daughter," he claims.
"You are never to see her you bastard," I say through clenched teeth. "I will not let you walk into her life like this. She doesn't deserve to know someone like you. She deserves a better male role model in her life."
"She has a right to know who her dad is!" Kalin shouted.
"And she has every right not to know!" I shout back. "Get the hell off my porch and never talk to me again."

He pushes me inside and locks the door.
"Let's finish what we started..." his eyes grew dark with lust. I stepped back slowly with the knife still in my hand. Suddenly, the door knob jingled.
Cameryn! I can't let her see this. She needs to run.
"Cam don't come in!" I shout.
"Mom what's going on?" Cam calls out. Kalin makes his way towards the door and in that same moment, I pull him back.
"Run! Go get help!"

Kalin gets out of my grip and knocks the knife out of my hand. I try to grab it, but Kalin grabs me and lifts me off my feet.
"Put me down!" I scream.
"Still loud I see," he whispers in my ear. "Let's see if I can make you scream louder."
He throws me on the floor and it felt like I had fallen off the Sears Tower. He climbs on top of me while I try to fight him off.
"You're agressive. I like that."

He tries to go for my pants and I kick him square on his head.
"Sh!t!" He yells.
"Mom?" Cam says coming in.
"Oh my gosh," Kalin says aloud. "She's so beautiful."
"I'm sorry but who are you exactly?"
"A disappointment," I interject. "That's what the hell he is."
"Cameryn you don't recognize me?" Kalin asks.
"How do you know my name? Why are you in our house?"
I snuck into the kitchen as fast as I could, grabbed a pot, snuck up behind Kalin while he was mid-sentence, and bashed him. I didn't swing hard enough, though.
"You little b!tch!" he turns around and punches me in my face.
"Hey jerk face!" Cam shouts.
Kalin turns facing Cam and she kicks him where it really hurts. Kalin falls to the floor, crying in pain.
"You're just as agressive as your mother," he croaks.
"Get back, Cam," I order her. "Go outside and signal the police."
She nods and exits as I heard sirens coming down the street.
"You're going where you belong," I told Kalin.
"I just wanted to see her," Kalin heaves. "I wanted to know what she looked liked. I wanted to know the kind of person she was."

I didn't have time to feel bad since the police came in and took him away. They interrogated Cam and me for a few minutes before leaving completely. Cam looks at me as tears started to form in her eyes. I embrace her as she cries into my chest.
"I'm so sorry," she cries. "I should've been here to protect you."
"Baby it's not your fault," I tell her while stroking her hair.
"You could've gotten hurt."
"I wasn't going down without a fight now was I?"
"No," she whimpered.
"That's all you need to know. I'm fine now."
"Who was that?"
I sigh heavily. "That was your father. Unfortunately, the man hasn't changed a bit."
"How long will he be locked up?"
"Who knows? If he's on good behavior, they might let him out early."
"I hope not."
"Me neither baby. Now let's go inside and eat, okay?"
"Okay. I love you, Mom."
"I love you too, Cameryn."