The Stars They Shine So Bright

These memories that we hold tightly to our chests; they never really leave us do they? I think not. Because time may move forward and the history stays in the past; yet you still remain the same. The bold face man, hair tucked smoothly to the side, glistening in the faded sunset is when I knew you the best. Smile lines tugging at your soft features, eyes sparkling like water glistens to the fallen star we once knew. A sight that never left my mind or my soul. It stays with me. Like you did. Many years ago. I still remember the day. Moon plastered across the night sky. Stars twinkling but could never compare to your glimmer that reflected upon you. You were something else. Something unique. Something...special.

We sat together on and old dilapidated bench, torn from the edges of time itself. Our hands intertwining with one another; head resting on his shoulder that seem to mold perfectly with my own. We were older now. Faces wrinkled by age and fatigue. Muscles aching from the arthritis that systemically tore us down day after day.

"Do you remember-" Dan started, his voice trembling, stopped by another fit of coughing. It had been like this for a few years now. His mind was going, as was his health. I could do nothing but stand by him Til his last days. I thought it would be the other way around but life is unpredictable like that. You never know what will happen until it's too late. I tightened my grip on Dans hand, as much as i could manage with the pain of my arthritis coming through. Dans brow wrinkled into that of a frown but he soon widened his eyes and looked around frantically.

"We're at the park? How did we get here?"

I sighed, wrapping my arms around my best friend and wanting nothing more than to break down and cry. Yet i owed him a million times more than that. I, myself, was sick several times in my life and some of them were more detrimental than Dan would have let on. No matter what, he stayed by my side, even if it did mean seeing me at my worse. He was always in top health despite the junk he would shove down his throat whenever he gotten the chance. I never would have expected that alztimers disease would be the something to take him down. Dan laughed suddenly, causing me to whip my head back up to stare into his eyes.

"I was only joking. Got you again Phillip!"

I sighed, this time in a state of relief and pulled him into an overbearing hug.

"I thought I lost you. Again."

"You can't get rid of me that easily. No matter how hard you try. I will always be here." He placed a kiss on my cheek and they continued to hold hands, gazing at the stars reflecting against the water.

"I love you Daniel James Howell. Always have. Always will."

Dan turned to face me and a smile formed on his aged face.

"This was the most fun I've ever had."

A tear slipped down his face, brown eyes appearing brighter than they had in years. I brought Dan back into a hug, face molding into his shoulder and I sobbed for what seems like forever.

This was the first time in 5 years he could remember the past as clearly as I could.

"I think I'm going to be leaving soon and I...I think that will make some people very upset. People like you. And I know that this moment is all we have as of right now this very second. I may never come back to my mind and...i just wanted to say..thank you. For everything. All you done. Making me the happiest guy in the world by responding to me at the age of 18. By talking with me for hours over Skype even though it would last until like 4 in the morning. Coming to visit me whenever I needed a shoulder to cry on. Inspiring me to be the best version of myself I could possibly be. And I'm not just saying that because I have feel obliged to. Because I feel that my legacy is coming to an end and that I'll have nobody to have it continue on. I'm telling you this because I love you. And if this wedding band isn't enough to prove it then the mark on this world that we made together should be. I'm glad to have spent my life with you Phil Lester. And I only wish I could stay with you like this for eons. Frozen in time."

A few minutes later he didn't know who I was. And that continued on for 4 days before he passed away from this world. But I still remember those words that he told me. And it motivates me everyday to move forward from the past and into the future. I clutched a picture close to my chest, the date stating October 2009. I smiled and placed the picture on a gravestone reading

Daniel James Howell: You will never be forgotten