Chapter Five

“Pardon me; I hope I did not startle you. May I introduce myself, Lord Nicholas Ravenhurst. ” He said when he found his voice again.

Elizabeth was stunned. Not only was the man she was wondering about last night, the man she questioned Camilla about, at the same ball as her, but was standing right in front of her, talking to her.

This is Nicholas Ravenhurst! Oh my he is nothing like I imagined. He is so devilishly handsome!

“Not at all My Lord, if I am correct, would you be the Marquess of Queensberry?”

“Yes, the fifth to be exact.” He said, a smile touching the corner of his mouth.

Anthony couldn’t stand not being able to hear if his friend was making a fool of himself. Deciding to walk over, he stood beside Nicholas.

“Ah Anthony, nice of you to join us, let me introduce you to…. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe I caught your name.”

Elizabeth forced herself to shift her eyes from the young Lord in order to acknowledge the gentleman who joined them.

“I am Lady Elizabeth Kincaid. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Lord Anthony Sinclair, it is a pleasure to meet you Lady Kincaid. Would you happen to be the daughter of Harold Kincaid, Earl of Bromely?”

“Yes that is correct” Elizabeth answered.

“Good man your father is, wonderful things he has done in his time.” Anthony complimented.

“Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. My family and I are very proud of my father’s accomplishments,” she returned.

Nicholas stood there. Partly thank full for his friend joining them before he made a fool of himself and partly irritated that Anthony had so much more to talk about with her than he did.

Kincaid, that name is ringing a bell, the daughter of The Earl of Bromely, and the daughter of…

Nicholas nearly went white.

The daughter of Countess Kincaid…The one mother known throughout London for her tenacity to attempt to secure a husband for her daughter. Every gentleman she encounters, she sees as a potential catch. God forbid if she observes us talking to her daughter. I must get Anthony and I away from Lady Kincaid, before her mother spots us talking with her, now!

But alas, Nicholas was too late as a voice stated from behind him.

“There you are Elizabeth, I have been looking all over for you. And who might these gentlemen be?” Her mother said smiling at the “potential son-in-laws” before her.

Bloody hell, there is no escaping her now…

“Hello mother, Camilla and I stopped at the refreshments table on our way.”

At hearing her name Camilla turned around for the first time. Busy scanning the crowd for any gentlemen she might find suitable, she hadn’t noticed the very handsome men conversing with Elizabeth.

“Elizabeth, you haven’t introduced me to your friends.” Camilla said placing her glass of champagne down and extending her hand.

“Yes that is just what I had said to her as well.” Her mother stated.

“I have only just met the gentlemen”, Elizabeth replied. “Mother, Camilla may I introduce to you Lord Nicholas Ravenhurst and Lord Anthony Sinclair. Gentlemen, My mother Countess Victoria Kincaid and my dearest friend the Lady Camilla Wellington.”