When a Tip Happened

8

    I don't remember falling asleep, after all, it was my watch. I should not have fallen asleep. Pulling myself up against the base of a tree, I squat then stand. Alex's body is propped against a tree across from me, Harry's head resting on his knees.

    I take a step backwards, moving away from them. I pull out my canteen and drink. We managed to find food last night: berries, apples, and a boar. We got lucky. My stomach churns. I need food now.

    I hear a twig break behind me, and I whip my head around. Walking towards the sound, I pause. Something shuffles behind me.

    It could be animals, or it could be people. I guess it could be neither as well.

    Stepping further, over trunk, following the noise. It sounds like scratching on a tree, or branches being smacked together. As I move in the direction of the sound, further and further, it still sounds as if it's the same distance away.

I feel like I'm being corralled like a horse. Distracted by a noise just to be pulled far enough away from Harry and Alex. They are asleep, and vulnerable. I turn around and spot her. A native girl, sneaking up on Harry and Alex. Not the enemy I had assumed was coming, but given the spear I see in her hand, I doubt she has come to politely tell us to move.

    "Harry! Alex!" I screech. Harry's eyes pop open, and he makes eye contact with me, scrambling himself up and shaking Alex awake.

    I move forward, suddenly noticing how large the distance I let slip between us.

    Harry and Alex sprint away, and I turn to follow them when I feel arms grasp around my stomach, and a hand over my mouth.

    I'm yanked backwards, falling behind a few feet.

    I begin to scream, before I see the girl's hand clamp over my mouth. She shushes me, panic in her eyes.

    My friends are going to come back, and they're going to kill her.

    I just hope she doesn't kill me first.

    I lift my knee, kicking her in the gut.

    She rolls off me, and I begin to run. There is a boy, one who I hadn't noticed. He grabs hold of me. I meet his eyes, and he shakes his head.

    I recognise him. He's the translator.

    "Don't run," he says. "We aren't going to hurt you."

    Alex rounds the corner, sprinting back towards us. He slows down the closer he gets to me. Did he come back to fight them, or to help me?

He breathes, nodding at the boy. "Inali."

    "Alex." The boy replies. "We haven't seen you in years."

    The girl walks up holding her stomach. I shrug out of the boys grip, running over next to Harry, and pulling out my dagger. My left arm wrapped around Harry's wrist, the blade held up like a shield.

"Your friend just attacked me." The girl mutters.

"I'll do it again if you don't stay back." Threats that are spat out through gritted teeth aren't really my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean I trust her.

"Would you quit it for ten seconds?" Alex demands. He turns his attention back to the girl. "Please, don't pretend like you didn't do something to deserve it Walela. I wasn't born yesterday."

    She snorts, almost laughing. "Yeah but he was. How long's he been here?"

    "I see you still haven't learned to mind your own business." Alex says.