Chapter 4

Mason

He isn't her mate. Knowing that fills me with relief. I can't understand why the mere thought of Siara having a mate twists my gut into knots. I've always been protective of her, but these feelings are different. Every time I noticed his hands on her waist, I wanted to rip them off. I don't even know the guy but his closeness to my best friend ignites a possessiveness in me that I haven't even felt with Chloe.

Another thing that has me puzzled is the fact that Siara's presence riles my wolf.

"Baby, what are you thinking about?" Chloe's voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Nothing important."

"Well, the last of the pack members have left, so why don't we go up to bed?"

Any other night, I would have jumped at the offer. Tonight I'm still feeling restless and confused, I need to talk with my parents about this.

"Not now, you go up though. I have some things to discuss with my parents."

"Okay, but don't take too long. You know how I can't sleep without you."

She gets on the tips of her toes for a kiss. As our lips meet, I can't help but notice that the usual sparks I feel are missing.

They sure as hell weren't missing when I grabbed Siara's arm, though. Quite the opposite in fact.

"Yeah, I'll be up soon," I say a bit distracted, and watch her make her way to our room. Once she's out of sight, I head to my father's study knowing he'll still be up.

Knocking on his door, I enter after he instructs me to.

"The bonfire went well tonight, don't you think?" my father asks.

"Yeah, it did," I agree, a bit distracted by my quiet thoughts.

"It went better than well, everyone loves your fiance," My mother says as she enters the room, placing a cup of coffee in front of my father.

"Thanks honey, you always know what I want before I ask," he says, rising from his chair to kiss her.

"It's all part of being your mate."

This is what I've always wanted. The type of relationship my parents have. They're so in tune to one another. They aren't only husband and wife, or mates, they're best friends.

Thinking of best friends reminds me of Siara, and the reason why I'm here right now.

"Mom, dad, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, honey, you can ask us anything," my mom replies while she comes to stand next to me.

"I know that you won't know someone is your mate until you share a kiss with them, but are there any signs that might be there? Dad, did you feel anything different for mom before she kissed you?"

"Why are you asking us this, son? Did something happen with Chloe? Did you guys have a fight?" my mom asks concerned.

"No, it's nothing like that. We're fine, but something did happen tonight that has me kind of confused."

"What?"

"When I touched Siara's arm, I felt tingles. It was like little shocks shot up my arm, but it felt good. It felt...right."

My dad and mom exchange a look and I recognize they're having a silent conversation with one another. Then my father turns to me and says, "Maybe it was just one of those static electricity things that happen when two people touch."

I shake my head, "It wasn't like that. It didn't sting like those usually do. The only way I can explain it is that it made me feel complete for a second. Like she gave me a missing piece to a puzzle I've been trying for so long to solve."

They share another silent conversation and it's beginning to grate on my nerves. "Will you guys just tell me what it means, because I think I already know and if I'm right, Siara's been hiding something from me."

"Look, Mason, we know you've always loved Siara as more than a friend, and you hoped she was your mate. We wanted that too, but it just wasn't meant to be. We think you might be looking for something where there isn't anything. Reading more into a simple touch than you should. Seeing Siara with someone probably brought up a lot of unsettled emotions. After all, when you were around she barely even dated. You just need time to adjust to her new relationship and get to know Phillip who's actually a pretty good guy. Besides that, you have a soon to be bride to concentrate on," My mother reminds me.

Was I just imagining what I felt? Was I looking for something that isn't really there because it's what I've wanted for so long?

It made sense. I'd always secretly loved her. Could it be wishful thinking on my part? Am I letting my desire to be Siara's mate cause me to see what I want instead of what is?

It sure makes more sense than Siara knowing I was her mate and keeping it from me. She'd never do something so cold and callous as to keep me from my destined mate. What was I thinking?

"You're probably right. I shouldn't be looking back. I've already decided to move forward with Chloe, so that's what I'm going to do." I give my mom a kiss on her forehead and say goodnight. "Thanks for helping me work that out guys."

I walk back to my room silently reprimanding myself for my crazy thoughts. What would have happened if I went straight to Siara with this? I could've messed up an already rocky friendship and hurt Chloe in the process. I should be happy that all my jumbled thoughts are set right, but I still feel like I lost that last bit of hope hidden deep inside.

As I get closer to my bedroom and the woman I've decided to marry, I realize that I have to accept that Siara and I aren't meant to be.

No matter how much I wish we were.

*****

If you like this story and want to find out what happens with Siara and Mason you can find the completed version on Dreame.com. Click on the External Link in this chapter to get there. Thank you so much for reading my story:)