When The Tragedy Started

Makoto's POV

While the rest of the class was sealing the windows with some huge iron plates, I was talking to Maizono-san. She was worried about what was happening outside, so I tried to comfort her. Then, we just started talking about many different things. Suddenly, I slipped and fell down. Enoshima-san rushed over along with Ikusaba-san. After I told them I was okay, Maizono-san and I continued talking.

"You may be the Ultimate Lucky Student, but you are so unlucky today" said Maizono-san while laughing.

"Yeah..." I said with disappointment.

"Just when you were about to make a move, this happens" she said with a sadder tone.

I then looked at Kirigiri-san,who was trying to seal some windows with Asahina-san.

"I still don't understand what makes you like her. I mean like like her. She is a very kind person and all, but I just don't get it. She is so mysterious" she said while trying not to sound too rude.

I just smiled and said "Exactly"

"Huh? What do you mean?" she asked as soon as I said that.

"Her mysterious nature intrigued me, like everyone else, but most of them gave up trying to know her after a couple of tries. But I just wanted to know her better. Then, I saw her true self. That was when I first saw her smile. She is kind and caring, really intelligent and..." I paused for a moment and then I almost whispered "beautiful..." I immediately blushed and looked at Kirigiri-san. She then turned around, so I quickly turned my head and blushed even more.

Then Maizono-san laughed. "You sound like you are in love with her" she said.

"I might be..."

Kyoko's POV

"Here you go" I said when I handed over what Aoi-chan asked for.

"Hmph" she suddenly said.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Look at Maizono-san and Naegi-kun over there. We are working our ass off and they're talking like nothing has happened" she said sounding quite mad.

"I think they are just trying to calm themselves down" I said trying to defend them.

"Hmph" she said again and then went back to work.

I looked at Naegi-kun and saw that he was looking at me. Once he saw that I had turned around, he immediately turned his head and I saw a hint of red on his cheeks.

"Hmmm"

"What is it Kyoko-chan?"

"It's nothing" I said, something that I usually say when people see me thinking and ask me about it.

Aoi-chan looked at me suspiciously and then at Naegi-kun and then she looked back at me. I then saw a smirk on her face. I didn't bother asking, because I already knew what she was thinking. I once heard a rumor that Naegi-kun has a crush on me, but I ignored it entirely. But after that, I paid more attention to his behavior and I must admit that he always acts kind of odd when he is with me.

I just don't understand him. I made my best efforts to avoid him in the beginning, but he never gave up on trying to know me. Then I just got used to it.

But then I found out what kind of person he is. He may not be the brightest, but he is always optimistic and never gives up. He is modest and respects his classmates for who they are, not for their talent. As time passed, I got more comfortable being with him. I even let him see my true feelings, but by accident. It just came to me naturally.

What's that effect that he has on me? I never smiled for anyone for years, but one time I just smiled. I quietly laughed at his foolishly-open nature, and he even noticed it, because he started blushing. Why am I like that when I am with him? Do I... like him?

"No, that's impossible" I said without realizing it.

"Huh? What's impossible?" asked Aoi-chan.

"It's nothing" I said again as usual.

She looked suspiciously at me again, but then she just got back to work.

'I cannot think about those things right now. I have to get back to work.' I said to myself.

But I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Well, everybody thought that Naegi-kun and Maizono-san liked each other in the beggining, but they turned out to be just really good friends. So it wouldn't be completely impossible for him to like me, right?

But why was I thinking about that? It's not that I want him to like me, right?

"Yeah, that's absurd" I said again without realizing it.

"Huh? What's absurd?" asked Aoi-chan.

"It's nothing" Now she just stared at me angrily.

"I don't even know why I bother asking. It's not like you will tell me" she said with an angry tone.

"Don't misunderstand. It's not like I don't want to tell you. I actually want to talk about this with someone in order to get it off my chest. It's just not the time"

She looked at me with curiosity, but decided to let it go for now.

"Fine. But you must promise me that you will tell me, okay?" she asked.

"I promise" I immediately said.

Naegi-kun..

Makoto's POV

Kirigiri-san...

A/N Hey guys!!! I hope you liked this. It's actually my first story ever, and I am really nervous. I'm not the best writer, so I was a little worried about it. I've read tons of Naegiri fanfics, but I wanted this to be realistic and consistent with the story, so I tried to express their thoughts in a variety of situations. A comment would be much appreciated, and write a suggestion if you like. I will update as soon as I can, so be ready to see the next chapter.