Part IV: How We Met Each Other

The 3rd and final tree had fallen on top of my family. It crushed us. Hit us right on our heads. That would kill anyone, unless you were me. Thing was, that's when I found out I had powers. I had changed into a wolf, as if on instinct, and had made the tree hitting me less painful. I crawled out and realized I was a wolf. I screamed, which came out as a howl. I was freaking out. Imagine if you were just a girl, then a wolf. I knew my parents were gone, dead. I gave up on trying to change back. It was just painful trying. I walked into the woods, wondering what to do.
     It was dark now. I could tell it was night and I was exhausted. I had walked through the woods on four legs for at least 10 hours straight with no food. There was nothing in the woods to eat. Absolutely nothing! Finally, my legs gave up on me and collapsed. I let myself fall down. I let out a final howl and fell asleep.
     If I hadn't howled that night, I may have never found my friends that I have today. I was asleep for only about 15 minutes when I smelled food. I slowly opened my eyes, thinking it was a hoax or my hungry mind. Thank god it wasn't. I saw it was fresh meat and berries. It was like a supermarket had appeared before me. I saw nobody around who could have brought it. I didn't care at the time, I was going to die if I didn't get food sooner or later. I ate it all hungrily, not caring if I had a few pieces of grass get inside my mouth. I had never gone hungry before so I hadn't known what it was like. After the "feast", I decided to go back to sleep.
     Right when my eyes closed, I heard rustling by a tree a few feet away. I peeked up and just stared at where I heard the noise. Then a noise came from behind. I turned and growled. I hadn't known I could growl and scared myself. I heard a giggle. I looked around for it. The noise seemed to echo and not have a specific location for it to come from. I started to get nervous. Remember, I was only 10. Now those things don't scare me. They're scared of me. FYI, you shouldn't mess with me.
     Now the noises, which became caws, growls, barks, and rustles of leaves. It seemed like the whole forest came alive. I felt like I was in a nightmare. I had nowhere to hide. A girl, alone, trapped as a wolf and surrounded by the unknown. I covered myself and whined softly. Nobody could help. It seemed like I was going to die as a wolf who was scared of the forest. I was done for.
Yeah right! I wasn't done for! Man, thinking of this moment always makes me think how stupid I was. Anyway, I saw a figure appear over me. It looked like a tiger. Soon, a lynx, gorilla, and lioness followed. I looked up in fear. They all changed into humans. Suddenly, it was like I knew how to change back. I stood and changed back. It was like fate brought us together at that exact moment. They smiled and I smiled back. It was amazing to know I wasn't alone, and neither were they.
     We knew we were all related in some way, and right then, without words, we make a pact to stay together and protect each other no matter what. It was the one and only rule we had, and it is still the only rule that we swore our lives to today.