Chapter 4

Four year earlier

I felt overheated as I stepped off the dance floor and went in search of a chilled glass of water. After weeks of practicing, the day of Anis's Henna ceremony was here and I had been dancing since the last half hour. I had practiced for months for this special day and nothing could spoil the dances I had prepared. The weather was quite warm and added to that, the physical exertion of dancing had made me break out in a sweat and longing to have a drink of water to wet my parched throat. Idly fanning myself with my stole, as it was sweltering hot outside, I neared the banquet tables where I was positive that I would get some water.

A hand shot out of thin air, holding a bottle of mineral water which was frosted on the outside. I grabbed the water bottle without knowing who had offered me the water.

"Thirsty?" he asked with his brows raised in question. I nodded and took the bottle from his hand. Uncorking it, I took a huge swig, then another and another. I could feel his eyes on me, watching me with what I could only define as curiosity while I drank. Gulping the water, I turned to him with an amused smile on my face.

"Have you never seen someone drinking water before?" I asked, totally amused at his reaction. He grinned and stepped closer to me. I took an involuntary step back. Taking the bottle from my hand, he said,

"I have but that someone wasn't you."

His words caused a warmth sweep over me as I gazed into his heavy hooded eyes, trying to see within his soul. There was something attractive there, something that pulled me towards him. I didn't respond. I just gazed into his eyes, searching for something. He held my gaze for the longest of time and then, he looked away.

Corking the bottle, he left me standing there, totally dumbstruck. Since the day of my brother's engagement, except for that night that he texted me that he had reached home safely, I hadn't heard from him. It wasn't as if I was waiting for him but I had felt that we had a special bond.

Today, standing here in front of me wearing a white kurta and shalwar with a green and yellow stole in his neck, he made my heartbeat quicken. I had seen numerous guys wearing Eastern clothes but him; I felt my heart beat faster and a thrill run through my torso. There was something unusual about him, an unsolved mystery that fascinated me, an urbane charm that drew me towards him and made me want to know all the hidden secrets beneath his indifferent, calm facade. There was something deep about Hashim Malik and with each meeting, I wanted to find out more about him but still something stopped me from asking him specific questions. Each of our meetings were as short as they could be.

"Maira!" Sadaf, Alisha's best friend, called me from behind. I pasted a smile on my face and turned around to face her.

"Alisha is asking for you." She informed me.

She wore a green and blue short shirt and lehnga, a dress that resembled a skirt, but unlike skirts, it was heavily embellished with beads and ornaments. Her dupatta was pinned to the side and her hair was twisted in curls.

"I'll go and see what she needs." I said as I hurried towards the stage where Alisha and Anis sat.

The next three hours went in a blur and my attention was totally diverted from Hashim. I didn't even see him around until it was dinner time. As usual, he was standing at one corner, his arms folded over his chest and his feet crossed at the ankles. He was watching the people with an expression of pure distaste on his face. Dumping my plate with whatever food I could get my hands on, I walked towards him as his gazed roamed over the wedding guest in disgust as he saw people eating hungrily.