SCHEMING LIKE A DEMON

Chapter 2: Scheming Like a Demon

2004 Seventeen years later...

The charcoal grey sky was starless. The moon sought refuge behind clouds rolling like tumble weeds in the dark night sky. The cracking sounds of thunder bellowed throughout the city as raindrops bounced off the street's pavement.

Ant Banks and Shife were laying low inside the Monte Carlos SS scoping out the Island Breeze restaurant across the street. The partners in crime were like two brothers from different mothers. The twin capers proved inseparable since the days when they were coming of age in the Hitch Village Housing Projects.

"Damn, family! Pass the fucking blunt. All bullshit aside, homie—I hope that broad Tee- Tee knows what the hell she's talking about," Shife stressed as he eyed the restaurant.

"You know I keep it one hundred. I licked that bitch's pussy so good the other night she almost gave me the 4-¬1-¬1 on how to rob her Pastor for the Sunday collection plate, "Ant said as he extended his long tongue and touched the tip of his nose.

Shife broke out into a fit of laughter. "Man get the fuck out of here lying about having a vicious ass tongue game!" he joked. "While you licking that bitch's pussy, you better make sure we got this lick on lock."

Ant dismissed his friend's subtle threats as he inhaled filling his lungs with weed smoke before exhaling. "It's all gravy. Just trust me on this one. That bitch Tee-¬Tee told me it's at least twenty stacks up in that safe. That's an easy 10 G's a piece, nigga!" Ant was full of enthusiasm as he anticipated the windfall from a much needed pay day.

Shife reclined in the driver's seat and pulled his black hoodie over his head while eying the movement in the restaurant. The thunderstorm had the restaurant's employees moving in haste to clock out. Tia Tolbert, also known as Tee-¬Tee, was a scandalous hood rat chick from the projects. She had a job prepping food for the restaurant's head cook, Claudia Holmes.

Papa Lou, the owner of the establishment, believed in giving people second chances. So, he hired Tee-Tee in spite of her scandalous past. When Ant Banks approached her about robbing the restaurant, Tee-¬Tee was game off the rip and provided the details on how best to pull off the caper without given it a second thought.

Ox, a Jamaican immigrant, was Papa Lou's trusted friend. He escorted Tee--Tee and Claudia out of the front door's entrance. "Goodnight Ox! We'll see you tomorrow!" Tee-¬Tee yelled over her shoulder.

"Goodnight ladies and drive safe now," Ox replied in his heavy Jamaican drawl. He watched Tee¬-Tee and Claudia, make a mad dash across the parking lot and enter their respective cars. Ox smiled to himself and gave the ladies a final wave good night. He then turned back towards the restaurant and made his way towards the rear of the kitchen.

Imani Jones, the only child of Louis "Papa Lou" Jones and his wife, Bernice "Mama Bee" Jones, was busy wiping down tables. Imani was a gorgeous 5'9" tall brown skin ebony goddess. She possessed a regal beauty that was beyond comparison and comprehension. Untamed and fierce yet full of passion and loyalty was how many people viewed the incomparable beauty. Her brown seductive doe eyes were inviting to any man fortunate enough to gaze upon her exquisite countenance. Beautiful jet black natural hair hung evenly just past her shoulders. Imani's smile radiated like the sun. She had an immaculate set of pearly white teeth. Her voluptuous body was framed in a well-proportioned 36-25-40 physique.

Bursts of lightning flickered through the large open window in the restaurant. Passing motorists sped down Montgomery Street seeking shelter from the approaching thunderstorm. Shife and Ant was both absorbed deep in their own thoughts when Tee-¬Tee startled them by lightly tapping on the driver side window.

"Damn, bitch! What the fuck is up with that?" Ant snapped while removing his hoodie and wiping the sweat beads from his forehead.

"Fuck you nigga! " Tee-Tee pulled on the door handle. "Open the damn door!"

"What's up, Shife?" Questioned Tee-¬Tee as she entered the car, she tried her best to reel Shife into her web of seduction—except tonight he was not interested. To him, she was a means to an end and he was not interested in mixing business with pleasure.

"I don't know Tee-Tee you tell me." Although Shife acknowledged her presence, he was slightly annoyed with the way she rolled up on them. He was ready to get down to business. "Money talk and bullshit walk a thousand miles. What's the business?" He began a full - on interrogation.

"It's all good baby boy," Tee –Tee reassured him. "At least twenty thousand is up in the safe just like I told you."

"How many people are up in the spot?" Ant interjected with grave concern.

"Imani and Ox the cleanup man are the only two inside," she explained. She felt proud to be a part of something important and was oblivious, or in denial, to the fact that she was being used. Women such as

Tee-Tee, who had nothing to lose, was easily manipulated.

"How 'bout that old dude who owns the joint?" Shife questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"His wife wasn't feeling well so he took the night off," Tee -Tee quickly added hoping that if Shife pulled off a successful caper tonight he might make her his ride - or - die chic.

"One hunnit, baby girl. I'll get with you later on tonight." Shife joked. "In the meantime and in between time we 'bout to bust this move." Shife's excitement was boiling over as he rubbed his palms together in anticipation of their score.

"Okay, Big Daddy," Tee – Tee leaned over the driver's seat and whispered in Shife's ear. "Should I wait up for you? You know you got me twisted."

"Yo, Ant," Shife laughed and massaged the growing bulge inside his black fatigues. "Get your girl dude."

Tee -Tee rolled her eyes. She was just about to speak when Ant spoke up. "You heard the man bitch. Slow your roll." Shife chuckled. "Your freaky ass better have your birthday suit on for Daddy 'cause we're going to fuck like porn stars when I get over there, you feel me?" On the surface, Ant pretended not to care about Tee -Tee. But, deep down inside it hurt him knowing that she had feelings for Shife.

Tee-¬Tee grinned and let out a long sigh. "Whatever nigga, I'm about to dip. I'm mad tired and I got shit to do in the morning. Listen, I ain't playing with y'all crazy asses! Absolutely no killing! I'm serious," she warned before exiting the car.

After Tee-Tee was out of sight, Ant looked over at Shife. "Everything is everything. Let's do this!" Ant chambered a round in his Glock .45 caliber.

As he traded looks with his crime partner, Shife reached under the passenger side front seat and pulled out a plastic shopping bag. He reached inside and pulled out two black ski masks and two pairs of black gloves. "These are for you, homie. Remember— let our next move be our best move. No mistakes allowed. Let's get the scrilla and be out, you dig?" Shife peered directly into Ant's eyes only to see the reflection of a dark, sinister soul—a mirror image of his own soul.

"No doubt," Ant reached over and bumped Shife's fist. " Let's get the scrilla and be out."

Dressed in all black army fatigues, they crept across the street to the back of the Island Breeze restaurant. The gate was locked.

"See, this that stupid shit that I be talking about," Shife shot Ant a venomous scowl." I thought that stupid bitch Tee-¬Tee was supposed to unlock the gate?" Shife was agitated as he was forced to scale the fence.

"Ease up homie. It's all good," Ant chuckled. "She probably just forgot."

Shife's anger flared. "Whatever, man."

Ant shrugged his shoulders before kneeling down. "Shit happens," he replied and crouched down in the shadows behind the dumpster.