eleven * natalia

He is a mermaid.
His eyes seaweed green;
bright watery globes,
flecks of aquamarine.
~

Michael didn't know why he's here.

The only thing he knows is that he's sitting on one of the big rocks in the long seaside of the central town, looking at his dazed reflection in the water. He sees the dim light hiding beneath his eyes, ashamed of losing its usual brightness, and he couldn't help but feel helpless while the world continues to move around him, time passing by, people coming and leaving without traces. He's a small speck of dust in the whole wide world and he wonders if he will ever figure out the reason why his fate brought him here on land. What's his purpose here? Underwater, he's supposed to rule the Atlantic, his home. But there's no such thing as home for him now. His mom is the one who makes a home out of the mess that is the kingdom. But now that she's gone, and all that there's left is his dad, things will never be the same again.

Calum's arms can be the closest thing to home right now. Being in his arms as they cuddle always feels like nothing and no one can ever hurt him. He didn't have anyone here besides Calum, and maybe his friends Ashton and Luke, but will they be enough for him to get by every single day? Will they always be there for him, to help him with his needs, to continue helping him without asking questions on what his future holds for him? He doesn't know the answer to that and he doubts that he'll ever find out, so he shakes his head to escape his thoughts. His vision is starting to get hazy and it feels like he's not actually in his body at all, the floating feeling overwhelming him a bit. He holds onto the rock to keep him in place and to assure himself that he will not fall into the water. He looks up to the sky, salty tears forming in his eyes.

He shakily sighs and looks back at his reflection only to find out that it wasn't his anymore.

"Nat," he murmured, trying to focus on her. He blinks several times to improve his hazy vision but nothing changed.

Natalia was there in the calm wave of the water, the very image of her blankly staring back at him. She still looked the same as the day he left her in the kingdom, tan skin bringing out the brown in her eyes. Her hair was slowly swaying with the water current down under. She looked helpless then, almost lifeless even, with the way she's not moving a single inch. That fact scared Michael so much, so he reached out to touch the water.

The moment his hand made contact with it, he was suddenly pulled under. He didn't expect it to happen at all. The water was too black and he started to drown, bubbles everywhere as the salty water filled his mouth and nostrils. He continuously sank deeper and deeper, looking at the light of the sky above. He missed this feeling. Being deaf in eternal silence under the middle of the sea, hearing nothing but his heart gradually slowing down its beat. He felt alive and dead at the same time.

He's so, so tired.

"Michael."

I'm sorry, Natalia. He slowly closed his eyes and let the darkness take over him.

"Michael! Open your eyes!"

Until he heard Calum.
-

Calum was sitting in Michael's side, trying to be gentle as he tries to wake the merman up from his nightmare. He didn't know what to do, Michael was tossing and turning in their bed with his eyebrows creased and breath held. "Michael, please wake up." He pleaded, holding both of his arms now.