4: The Girl Who Was Attacked By The Wild Animal

The next morning, everyone seems so solemn. I see people -- mostly girls -- crying. The guys comfort them, all of them with the same look of fear in their eyes.

A dead body was found near the school early this morning. I didn't know the girl. She was a cheerleader, and I saw her around, but I was never friends with her. Her body was ripped to shreds, blood was everywhere, and there were signs that she had ripped her fingernails off trying to get away from whatever attacked her. They're saying it was a wild animal.

The whole situation is scary as hell; I'm not going to lie. I'm honestly surprised that they're even having school today. By the state of things, it looks like no one is going to be able to focus. The teachers will probably give us an easy day and keep the homework pretty light.

I head to my fourth period class and find that Shelley isn't there. I'd say that she stayed home today after she heard what happened. I know I saw Roman lurking the halls earlier today, and lucky for me, he's left me alone. When I saw him, he looked pretty annoyed, flashing nasty looks at the dozens of crying girls.

Lunch time rolls around; still no sign of Shelley. The normal roar of the cafeteria is replaced with more of a hushed chatter. The new boy Peter brushes past me, looking ahead of him to the hallway he was headed for. I turn my head and watch him walk down the hallway. I had heard rumors about him.

I heard that he was a gypsy, or he was related to the gypsy that lived in the heavily-wooded part of town. There is another rumor, but it sounds too ridiculous to even be remotely true. A young girl -- a freshman, I believe -- said that he was a werewolf. Some believe he has something to do with the death of the cheerleader. Maybe he could have something to do with it, but to think that someone is a werewolf. Someone needs to wake up.

Hemlock Grove is a strange town. A bit murky and gloomy and spooky. It's the perfect setting for a gothic horror novel, but to believe that the mythical creatures of those stories are real, that is something a child would do. The child believes because the parent or authoritative figure threatens them with scary stories just to get them to listen.

"If you don't get into bed right now, the 'Boogie-Man' will come and get you."

Or my personal favorite:

"You better be a good girl this year, or Krampus will come and eat you."

I pity the ones who believe. Either Mommy and Daddy didn't love them enough to tell them that mythical creatures weren't real, or they're too messed up in the head to realize that the real monsters aren't the ones with claws and sharp teeth. The monsters are the ones with the pretty smiles and kind gestures. The ones who hold your heart in their hands, controlling the power to help you or destroy you. They're the monsters you never see coming.

Later, right before last period, I stop by my locker to check my cell phone and grab my books. Roman comes over, and I don't have to look at him to see that weird grin already plastered on his face.

With me facing my locker, I ask, "Where was Shelley today?"

"Oh, so you're going to speak to me today?" he replies.

"She sick?"

"I knew I would get to you," he says, still ignoring the question.

I turn to face him. "It's always about you, isn't it?"

He shrugs. "I'm more concerned about you."

"I'm sure you are," I reply. I close my locker door and head for class. I hear the familiar footsteps behind me, not as hurried as usual. "You're not going to try and stop me? Slam me up against a wall and get in my face?" I look over my shoulder. "Looks like we're both just full of surprises today."