Chapter 3- The hospital

Three days later, I'm walking down the hallway, well after I should have been in class. Im wearing a black shirt, light jeans, and my white converse. I looked very put together today, But, to be quite honest, I couldn't have cared less about my appearance. Ever since Trystan left, my grades had definitely felt the punch. Not that I particularly cared. I was carelessly walking down the hallway, letting my hands touch the blue painted lockers on my right side, I turn the corner to come upon the main hallway. This is the area in which most of the higher ranked faculty had their offices. I walk down, very slowly, hoping to drag out the time until I will stop into the nurses office, faking some form of an injury. Not sure what exactly yet. From a distance, I see someone coming down the hallway. White shirt, messy brown hair, bright blue eyes. Nathan. I give a little wave, and he quickly walks over to me.
"Hey" He says, looking at the lack of a hall pass in either of my hands. I simply shrug, and continue walking, as he follows.
"Gonna fake an injury, Pey?" He laughs a little.
"Eh, probably. Unless I'm feeling really bad-ass today, then I'll just walk into the room, flip the teacher off, and take my seat." I hear him laugh a little from behind me.
We stop a few feet away from the principals office, where the door is open a crack. I turn around and give him a smirk, indicating I want to listen in. The principles door is nearly always locked. He shakes his head, and gives me a warning with his eyes. I turn back around and approach the door, making sure to keep my footsteps light, and to walk over slowly so she wouldn't notice me. I'm trying to stifle a laugh when suddenly my blood goes cold, and my smile disappears completely as I hear the words coming from the room.
"What do you mean he's gone?! He couldn't have just picked up and left!.... Well yes, I knew there was a possibility but I never imagined Trystan would tell his-..... Well yes I always knew there was a chance but not a large one... I doubt he would, that would just make it even harder, right?" The principles voice is hard and tense. mr.knights sounds angry as hell. But that's not what I'm focused on.
I turn around to face Nathan. Right behind me. His face is Pale and his cheeks are flushed. I put my hand on the door, ready to break the hell in, when he snaps my wrist and pulls me back. I glare at him, but I understand his point. I slowly pull back away from the door, and the moment I have backed a few feet away. Nathan grabs my waist and pulls me farther. I don't refuse, I want to, but I don't. My muscles don't allow it. I just let myself get dragged away. My white converse sliding against the ground. The principle knew something. I was so ready to storm down the doorway, but I stayed still, a year threatening to drop down my cheek. Nathan turned me, so that I faced him. His eyes stared into mine, crystal blue.
"Listen to me Peyton, it's hard I know. You don't think every day I'm confused and scared. Because we all miss him, and I'm not sure what to believe anymore but the very worst thing we can do is something stupid? And that," he says, pointing to the door "that is stupid." I nod, but his words become distant, I see his mouth moving, but the noise itself doesn't seem to come out. I feel myself beginning to sway. Not with a particular beat or rhythm... but more as a nervous breakdown. Suddenly I can hear Trystan singing, in my head, that Ed Sheehan song for his auditions for the play. I can hear him sing every word. Nathans eyes look so blue, they begin to remind me of Trystan, I'm unsure If I'm still breathing and my mind gets foggy, and I realize within the next few seconds that somehow I'm on the floor, and that Nathan's calling out to some passing teacher. The principle comes out of her room too, but I'm humming the tune of the song. Some how, I feel someone take my hand. But when I try to focus on the person, it's not Nathan, or any teacher, but Trystan holding my hand. The room gets even more black and I can hear only two things. Nathan calling out to someone, shouting. And Trystan, singing.
•••
The world goes black, but a memory floats back.
Trystan?" I ask. Slowly sipping the water he brought me. My mind is fuzzy. Last night I was drunk, very drunk. I didn't specifically remember what happened. I just remembered Trystan walking me to his car, driving me back to his house. Him tucking me into his bed, while he slept on the floor. I believe I threw up at the party, I know I didn't throw up at his house. I faintly remembered him telling me his parents weren't home. I also faintly remembered me asking him if that meant we were gonna hookup. I remember him laughing, and telling me to drink more water.
He came over to the bed and brushed my hair out of my face. He asks if I want anything and I shake my head no. He smiles and is about to walk out.
"Trystan?" I say in a small voice
"Yah?" He says looking at me.
"What happened last night?" There's a pause before Trystan walks over and sits on the edge.
"How much do you remember?" He says.
"I remember being really mad at someone, maybe two people? And I threw something. I remember ruining my mascara but I don't know why. There's a tear in my dress so I'm guessing something went wrong... and I remember asking you if we were gonna hook up" I blush a little at the last part, and he lets out a small laughing, showing off his perfect, white, teeth. Then his face grows rather serious.
"Peyton, there's no easy way to say this, but your boyfriend cheated on you. Sarah James, she's a year younger then you, two younger then me. They hooked up last night, and you threw a potted plant at him. I don't know how you ripped your dress, but I'm assuming you snagged it on something. As for the mascara, I found you in the bathroom twenty minutes later, crying." He scoots over and pushes the hair out of my face.
"Sorry about.... Matt? James?" He says with a laugh. I know he knows that my ex boyfriends name is Jake, but he likes pretending that he doesn't know. He laughs back.

The memory is gone oh too soon.

I wake up instead in a hospital, with Nathan leaving over me, stroking the hair out of my face the same way that Trystan did. Only, trystans hands were slightly larger, with more calluses, and a gentle touch that sent tingles through my spine. Nathan's touch was slightly awkward, as though he was scared of crossing some line, or border, but wanting to anyways. His palm was warm and soft, and his thumb carefully pushed a hair back, our eyes locked. To be quite honest, I didn't realize how intense the moment was, until he pulled back, scarlet blush creeping up his cheeks. I find my cheeks get pink too, so I look down. He coughs, turns my way, and then gives me a flower. It's a simple red rose. I look up at him, he smiles, a little, and opens his mouth as though about to say something. His phone then rings, and he answers it, exiting the room. I turn my head to the nurse, which is an Young african American lady, who catches my glance, and says
"So, is that your boyfriend? He hasn't left you for the past three hours" I laugh, and maybe say a little too quickly.
"No! I mean, he's just a friend. Nothing more really..." I let my voice trail off, and decide to add in "plus he has a girlfriend!"
Sometimes I forgot about Naomi. She's this Gorgeous 5'9 girl, with bright green eyes, and long brown, almost black hair, and tan skin, with long, skinny limbs.
"What a shame honey, y'all would be goals" she turns back to the computer to input some information into it, leaving me alone to my thoughts, as I contemplate what she's saying. Nathan? Nathan's Nathan. He's been that person I didn't ever really know, but when situations forced us together, we took the opportunity. I push the thought away at the realization that even if he did think of me as more, he has Naomi. I remember when my Mia liked him. She wouldn't stop talking about him, and his eyes, and his smile, and the way his muscles were defined against his skin. I laugh a little, and turn to the doctor.
"So, how long have I been out?", she starts to reply, when there's a knock on the door. She goes over and opens it, to reveal the last person I wanted to see. My principle. Mr.Knights, walks in. He's in his late 20's. He has dark black hair, tan skin, and a presses suit. Quite honestly, he could have been a model, or a billionaire. He has the looks for it.
"How are you feeling Ms.Millings?" He says, still standing by the edge of my bed.
"Fine." I say. My voice icy.
"Good to hear. You passed out in the hallway. Do you remember why?" His eyes are dark, but they quietly reflect fear.
"I think I was dehydrated or something," I suddenly remember how I was going to the nurse "that's why I was going to the nurse, because I felt dizzy and tired, then I saw Nathan, just as I passed out." He stares at me for a minute, I shudder. He slowly turns his eyes away from me, maybe he actually buys it...
He looks at at the nurse.
"Could I ask you to leave for a minute?" He says. His voice is cool and calm, with a hint of impatience. I remember Ali telling me just how "hot" she thought he was. And for a minute, I catch myself off guard, staring at his round brown eyes, and long black eyelashes.
"Peyton. Where did he go?" He says. Moving over to sit on the edge of the bed.
"Trystan?" I reply calmly. He stares at me, knowing I know the answer. Suddenly, he's leaving in, and gently brushes his lips to my ears and speaks a sentence that sends chills through my body
"Let's settle something. He may have been your friend, but it's out of your control, and if you try anything... we will take immediate action. Am I understood?" He says. I nod, too scared to say or do anything else.
"Well that will be all" he says, pulling away and standing up. His eyes still locked on mine. He gets up and leave the room, while the nurse walks back in. Tears stain my cheek, I try to contain them, but it's no use. The nurse looks up.
"Ms, are you okay? Did he hurt you? I can go whoop his ass for you..." she gives me a small smile, but her eyes show sympathy. And I laugh a little through the tears.
"I wish, but I don't want to be expelled" she gives me a small smile.
"I'm sorry about that girl." She turns to face my bed. "Your allowed to go now if you feel better", I nod, and she smiles at me, obviously still concerned about the way he treated me, but then politely exits the room.
I grab my things and go. I have one hand on the door, I'm ready to go. I turn around to check I haven't left anything. As I do, I notice something left on the chair next to my bed. A bright red rose, the one Nathan gave me. I run over and pick it up, and as I do, a thorn pricks me. I let out a yelp, and my breath sucks in as I see it's punctured my hand. My eyes dart on the message attached to it "feel better -Brendon". next to it is another sheet of paper. A yellow sticky note. With the words "Don't get pricked, dear Peyton." The only person near that chair besides Brendon was the principle. The thought causes my head to throb. Which brings me back to the burning pain in my hand from the thorn. I manage to find tweezers on the nurses tray, and I pluck out the thorn. Tears splashing down my cheeks as I do so. Not just from the pain of the thorn, or from losing trystan, but from the newfound threats from our principle.