Chapter 4

It’s been about a week since I stayed with Jess and I think I can honestly say that I’m more content than I’ve been in a long time. I haven’t seen her since the following day when she insisted on giving me a ride to work which I was so grateful for. All this cold and snow is actually ridiculous and I have no idea how I’ve been able to stand it.

Jess told me she had to do some traveling for her job this week but she wouldn’t be gone long. Our communication hasn’t stopped though. We still texted each other every day and talked on the phone whenever we were both free.

I was on my way to work when I got a text off of Jess. I fumbled around with the phone with my numb fingers until I finally managed to open the text. I couldn’t help but smile as I read what she wrote.

‘Hey babe I’m on my way home today. Fancy dinner again tonight? x’

I continued walking as I typed out my reply the best I could. The cold wasn’t making it very easy on me today.

‘Sounds great. I don’t get off work until 6 but I’ll head over after. Have you had a nice trip?’

I only had to wait around thirty seconds before I got a response back. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she was staring at her phone waiting for my reply.

‘Yeah it was okay. Really missed home this time around though’

I didn’t get a chance to text her back again as I had arrived at work by now. I turned my phone off and stuck it in my coat pocket as I walked quickly through the dining area to the back. Hailie was already here wearing her usual overly fake smile. She caught site of me as I was tying my hair back and waved enthusiastically as she walked off to one of her tables. She was a bit odd but friendly nonetheless I suppose.

I carried on through my shift as I normally do. I was only doing eight hours today but that still wasn’t too bad. Travis kept making comments at the cough I’d developed lately but I’m positive it’s just a cold. I mean, what do you expect when you walk an hour to work every day in the cold anyway? I at least held it in while I was around customers and food so it wasn’t that bad. I felt fine otherwise.

When it finally came time for my shift to end I ran into the back to grab my coat and let me hair fall loose again. I was about to walk out to the front when I saw Travis standing at the bar giving me an odd look.

“Something wrong?” I asked as I walked in his direction.

“No, nothing’s wrong. That I know of anyway. You just seem a bit different today,” he remarked.

I took a deep breath and looked him dead in the eye, assuming he was talking about my cold or whatever.

“Look, Trav, it’s just a cold. I should be over it soon and-“

“No, not that,” he interrupted. “You just seem, I don’t know, happier than before? It’s a nice change.”

He smiled at the end reassuring me that he wasn’t going to tell me off for anything. I returned his smile and nodded in agreement.

“I do feel a bit happier. I think I’m finally starting to settle in,” I said as I pulled my coat around me.

“Well good. I’ll see you later then. Remember it’s your day off tomorrow,” he called after me.

We exchanged goodbyes and I was finally able to leave the restaurant. Hopefully I could hurry so it wouldn’t be too late when I got to Jess’s house. I turned my phone on and sent Jess a quick text to let her know I was on my way. Seconds later I got a response.

‘Look behind you x’

I stared at the text in confusion before turning to see Jess’s car parked just a few feet away. How I missed her, I have no idea. She was standing outside the car with her hood pulled up and a rather large coat draped around her.