Chapter Six

Bolstered a little by Gavon's confidence in me, I was able to stomach returning to the house. He'd pointed out a few chapters I should work on—summoning and such—but I was just glad that someone was listening to me. Now that I wasn't on the verge of freaking out, I might be able to communicate with Jeanie better. I just needed to catch her in a good mood so I could explain my feelings to her.

The lights were on in the house and I hurried up the steps. The time on my phone said nearly eight and I'd left a note, but I couldn't help feeling like I was walking into a trap.

"Hello?" I called.

"In here, Alexis."

Crap. Alexis wasn't a good sign. I left my primer on the staircase and walked into the living room, where Jeanie was sitting with Nicole and a gray-haired woman who was facing away from me.

Jeanie cleared her throat. "Lexie, come in here and say hello to Gram."

"Gram?" I blinked, not moving into the room.

I'd never met my maternal grandmother. She'd call on birthdays and other important holidays, and it was always the same. How were grades (top of my class), was I playing any sports (no), was I otherwise doing well (yes).

"Well, girl, put your tongue back in your mouth and come in here," she barked, and my legs moved of their own accord—out of fear or magic, I wasn't sure.

I stood in the center of the living room and pressed my hands into my sides, so I wouldn't offend her any more than I already had.

Gram studied me like I was hopelessly underwhelming her. She was maybe mid-fifties, but she carried herself like a woman who was used to having others do as she said. Her sweater didn't have a yarn out of place, her black shoes even intimidating as they shone back at me.

"Hullo, Gram," I said after a moment of silence.

"Sit."

I sank into a nearby chair.

"Jean tells me you've been having some trouble with your magic," she said, placing her wrinkled hands on her knees. "Seems to be pouring out of you, isn't it?"

I glanced down at my hands, grateful they weren't purple. "What do you mean?"

"Jean, I'd say that you should have Nicole whip up a calming potion for the girl. She's obviously distraught from learning about her magic."

"I already did, Gram," Nicole replied softly.

"And?"

"It worked last night, but—"

"I don't think calming draughts are what she needs," Jeanie said, perched on the edge of her seat. It was the first time I'd ever seen my aunt look so eager. I compared the two women, and could see where Jeanie got her short temper.

"And what do you think she needs, Jean?"

"I think she needs to come up to the compound for a few days. Be around her own kind and learn—"

"No," Gram replied, a lot harsher than I'd have expected. "That won't be necessary."

Jeanie made a noise then seemed to consider her words carefully. "Mom, it would be very helpful if you'd let Lexie have some one-on-one time with someone up there."

"Up where?" I asked, glancing at Nicole.

"The Carrigan Clan has a compound in the northeast," Gram replied, her hawklike eyes focused on me. "It's where the rest of your family lives."