II // They're Too Young

Sevyn "Sj" Santino Jr

               Nervousness filled me as I looked up to see Harlem had entered her office. The receptionist, who recognized me as her little brother, told me I could sit in there while she was in her meeting. I waited around for what felt like an eternity, but in reality was only about an hour. My sweaty palms instantly began to inch, causing me to rub them together as I stared down at the floor.

"Sj?" she called. I glanced up to see her smile slowly fade as she looked into my eyes. "What's wrong? Is it Y'hana again?" she asked referring to the drinking problem my mother had developed over the years.

I shook my head no as I prepared myself to deliver the news that would change my 17 year old life forever. "It's Dylan," I sighed returning my glare to the plush gray carpet, "she's pregnant."

Harlem's face twisted up as she twisted her head slightly to the side. "Sj! What the fuck man? You're only 17!" she screamed as fresh tears formed in her eyes.

"How you gone judge me? You was 18 when you found out you was pregnant!" I yelled, matching her tone.

"AND IT'S BEEN HARD!" she yelled louder through her tears. Her face had instantly turned bloodshot red and her breathing was at the pace of an angry bull. She took a deep breath to regain her composure before speaking again. Throwing her hands up in surrender, she began to speak much calmer. "This isn't the time. I can be disappointed in you later. Where's Dylan?"

"That's the thing, sis. Her mama put her out, so she living in a shelter. I sneak her in when I can, but you know Y'hana ain't going for that," I replied staring down at my ice white Giuseppe Zanotti sneakers. "This is all my fault. I ruined both of-"

"Stop, Sevyn. This isn't your fault, do you hear me?" I nodded in response. "Everything that happens is a part of God's plan, though I really wish you would have used those condoms I gave you. But that's in the past and what's done is done. Dylan can come live with the kids and I."

I snapped my head up and stared into Harlem's sincere eyes. "Nah Harlem, I-"

"Why not? I love Dylan and so do the twins. She's a great girl and pregnant or not, it's not safe for her in a shelter. I see young mothers like her go to ruin more than one would think, because of a lack of support. There's more than enough room for her. Come on," Harlem said reaching out for my hand, "let's go get her."

               I grabbed Harlem's hand and pulled her into a tight hug. I expected her to be disappointed in me, but I also expected her to help. This is the exact reason why I shared this information with her instead of Y'hana. Y'hana chose alcohol to fill the void of our father after his death. All day long all week long all she does is drink. She no longer works, cooks, cleans, or even take care of herself hygienicly. These days it's like Hayleigh and I are raising ourselves.

               Hayleigh. Even she ain't the same. At only ten years old, she was hanging out with girls that were at least fifteen. She wore makeup, attempted to dress provocative, and even goes as far as sneaking out of the house sometimes when I'm not there. Y'hana was only concerned when she was sober, so that's hardly ever. I did the best I could to discipline her, but always felt bad because it wasn't my place.

                My only sanity was Dylan and basketball. I tried to keep my horrible home life from Harlem to save face. I didn't want her looking at Y'hana as a bad parent. I know she's just coping and trying to re-find herself right now. Though I keep my game face on, on the inside I feel like many things around me crumbling down. I secretly dreaded going home everyday. On top of all of that I am a senior in high school and about to be a father. My life is a mess right now.

Hayleigh Rai Santino

"Look you ain't nobody daddy, Sj

"Look you ain't nobody daddy, Sj. You can't tell me what to do," I said as I rolled my eyes and folded my hands over my chest.

"I can and I will!" he shouted, causing me to jump. I quickly returned to my stance making a mental note to take my voice down a couple decibels. "The fuck you think you doing? Ten years old wearing tight ass dresses and heels. And what the fuck are these?" He asked before snatching the false lashes from my eyelids.

"Ugh! You are ruining my life. I hate you!" I yelled before I stormed off into my bedroom not forgetting to slam the door.

"Who the hell slamming doors?" I heard Y'hana drunk ass slur before passing back out on the couch.

She's such a fucking joke, I mumbled.

               I locked my room door and fell into my bed knowing since Sj was home that's where I'd be spending the night. He's such a fucking cock blocker. If my own mama didn't care what I did, why did he? Instead of fucking on his prude ass girlfriend he was always sticking his nose in my business. So what if I dress sexy or wear makeup? Tye and D'asia did too and they where only five years older than me. Sj just be overreacting for no reason. My father is dead and I don't need another one.

-

please COMMENT / SHARE / VOTE 💛