10 ~ The Screamer

"What do you mean, he's gone?" My heart races. Gone could mean so many things. Zac could be out 'grocery shopping-gone' but he could also be 'dead-gone'.

"He heard you don't trust me. And he walked away. He's determined to go find you on his own. He doesn't trust me anymore either. I'm worried. He's alone Rose, alone!"

"He's a big boy, he'll make it." Zac could make it through about anything. He even got through the process of befriending me. And that's a though process. Mostly because I don't want friends. Actually the process wasn't that hard after all. It involved some chocolate and a few minutes.

He sat down on one knee. What the duck is he doing? From his backpack he pulled a huge bar of chocolate and held it in front of me.

"Dear Rosalie Hammer, will you, be my friend?"

Yes, my name is actually Rosalie, don't mention it. Ever. I'll chop you're hand off and feed it to the gorillas in the local zoo.

As I said, Zac could make it through anything. Yet this didn't feel good. About everything he went through, he had Liam by his side. Or at least supporting him. But now, he left him. 

"Why are you telling me this?"

"You're the only one I could tell. Imagine what the pack would think of their Alpha if they heard his best friend doesn't trust him anymore?" That made sense. The only one he could tell was the one never getting out of their prison. What have I become? Do I need to listen to every single problem Liam will encounter? Just because I can't tell anyone else?

"And I just thought if anyone needed to know, it would be you." That is so sweet of him! No Violet, stop it. He's not sweet and he never will be. Unless he's dipped in chocolate. And sugar. Maybe then I'm considering him being sweet. But only from the outside.

"He'll be okay." I wasn't entirely sure about this.

"Rose, he's angry." Oh no. The thing most people don't know is that Zac used to have a drinking problem. Now that he's okay again, he never drinks. Unless he's mad. But he's rarely mad. If he is, either Liam or me is around to help him. But now we both can't help. I'm worried. What is something bad happens? What if he never comes back? Stop worrying Rose! There's nothing you can do. If only my mind-link started working again. I can't do anything now. Unless...

"Why haven't you gone after him?" Why is he wasting time? He could be running after him, finding him, stopping him from doing anything stupid.

"Tomorrow I'm seeing my brother. I can get you out of there Rose. Hold on, I'll get you out." Shut up. You're lying. But he did sound truthful! No! I don't believe him! Then what's the tingly feeling we both have? I don't have that! I've never lied to Violet before. It's no use, she knows the truth anyway. Violet whimpers. A bond between wolf and human is strong. I just betrayed her trust by lying to her. How could I? I wasn't thinking. I don't bother to reply and hang up. Less than a minute later it starts ringing again. I just turn it off. I guess I should try to sleep.

The wind whistles softly through the open door. Wait? An open door? I slip through it and find an empty hallway. I hear no noise coming from any part of the house. When I walk further I find the front door open as well! And here I was, thinking I could never get out of here. I walk outside and as soon as I notice it is safe, I run.

I'm in the woods, trees surround me like I'm their enemy. A leave falls, must have been the wind. I hear a scream, coming from a few hundred meters away. Deciding it is definitely stupid for me to go over there, I go over there. My brain tells me to run, far away and never return anywhere close to a place like this. But my curiosity draws me towards the scream and before I even realise, I'm running towards it. I expected about anything; a wounded animal, an attacked human; a dying werewolf. Not this. Before me, I see Zac. His face is badly wounded as well as the rest of his body. I drop to my knees.

"Zac!? Are you alive?" A soft mumble escapes his lips. "It's Liam, he ..." His voices trembles as he speaks. "He found me and he was... mad. Upset. That I left. He punished me for it." No. No. No. This isn't supposed to go like this. I am supposed to come back home and annoy the sh*t out of my best friend, my only friend. Tears stream down my face as I feel the life drain out of his body and see his eyes close as he spoke his last words. "I am sorry."

I cry, cry, and start all over again. I scream at the top of my lungs and don't even care who hears me. A hands slaps across my check and water is thrown into my face. I keep screaming. I don't care what happens to the rest of the world, I just lost my best and only friend. Someone puts their hand over my mouth and restricts my movements. I stop screaming to catch my breath. I'm sure my tears could fill up more than a swimming pool if I cried more.

"CALM DOWN." A voice screams in my ear. I know that voice. I look up and see Leo. When I look around I realise I'm not in a forest, but in my very own prison.

A dream. It was a dream. It may have been a dream, but Zac is out there somewhere, alone. I have to safe him, which sounds funny coming from the girl who's the one locked up. 

---

Here is another chapter! (Finally.) Sorry for the long wait! 

I hope you liked this chapter :D

Sincerely,

Jennifer